Chapter Five

1962

(3rd person POV)

The sound of the metal cutleries clanging against the glass plates echoed throughout the hall of the mansion. Y/N sat at the dinner table with Richard and his parents. No one said a word. Y/N found it hard to breathe in her navy blue, velvet, skin tight dress that Richard had gotten for her as an engagement gift.

"Y/N dear, how are the wedding preparations going?" Richard's mother asked out of the blue.

"Uh, it's going well ma'am." Y/N answered for she was unsure on what to reply her. To be honest, Y/N hasn't even started on any wedding preparations. For some reason, she still feels like there's hope to get out of this arranged marriage, some miracle. But she knows that it's not possible.

"Have you both settled on a date yet?" Richard's father asked.

"We haven't had the time father." Richard replied without looking up from his meal.

"Well that won't do at all! You must start properly planning everything!" Richard's father said firmly.

"Now, now dear. Let the kids handle this. It's their decision after all." Richard's mother calmed her husband down.

"It doesn't feel like I even have a choice." Y/N thought to herself as she took a bite of her food.

Richard's mother turned to look at Y/N. "Now that you both are settling down soon, I hope that you'll feel more welcomed here. You are going to our family after all." She said.

Y/N just nodded.

"I do hope to have a little boy or girl running around these halls once more." Richard's mother suddenly added.

Y/N choked on her food and had a whole coughing fit on the spot. Richard handed her a glass of water which she gratefully took and drank half the glass in one gulp.

"I'm sorry Y/N that must've caught you off guard." Richard's mother apologized.

"There's nothing to apologize about, mother" Richard said coldly. "It's normal for married couples to have children is it not?" He asked and gave a death stare to Y/N as if to say 'just agree with what I say.'

"Uh yes, it's normal." Y/N pipped.

"Well when you both have children I think one thing is for certain," Richard's father spoke up. "Y/N cannot continue her career as a pianist."

Y/N's eyes widened.

"I beg you pardon sir?" Y/n managed to ask.

"You heard me. When the time comes, you'll need to stop this passing fancy. My son is to take over my company, and if the both of aren't home who is going to take care of my future grandchildren?" Richard's father said harshly.

"B-but sir, we could hire nannies or ask my parents to watch over them. I'm sure they won't mind." Y/N pleaded.

"Hah! You think I'll pay for some stranger to take care of our future generation? And do you really think your parents are going to be there all the time? This decision is final!" Richard's father said, his voice raising with each word.

His wife rubbed his arm to calm him down. Richard was throwing glares at his fiancée while shaking his head in disapproval. Y/N bit her lip to stop it from quivering. She tried to blink back the tears that were stinging her eyes.

"Excuse me for a moment." She said and quietly left. She went into the bathroom and shut the door. She fully let out all the tears she had been holding back. To give up piano was to give up her life's work! She could never do such a thing! Just by the events of what happened tonight, it's clear to say that the minute she says 'I do' to Richard on their wedding day, her life is going to go downhill from there.

________________________________________________________________________________

"Hello?" Benny picked up the call only to hear sniffles from the other end.

"Hello who is this?" Benny asked again with worry lacing his voice.

"Benny." The voice croaked and Benny immediately recognized the voice.

"Y/N? Is that you? Are you okay?" Benny asked, the panic evident in his voice.

"No...no I'm not." Y/N whispered into the phone. "Is it okay if you come and get me?"

Benny was already grabbing his keys. "Where are you?"

(Time skip)

"I'm sorry to interrupt." Y/N said as she entered the dining room.

"My gosh Y/N, are you alright?" Richard's mother asked in concern at seeing her crying state.

"Yes I'm fine." Y/n said while wiping away her tears but more just kept flowing out of her eyes. "I'm terribly sorry but I have to leave now?" She said as she grabbed her belongings.

"Are really crying over what I said just now?" Richard's father scoffed. Y/N heard him mumble the word 'pathetic' under his breath.

"No sir, I'm crying because I've just received a call saying that my friend has got into an accident and her injuries are fatal." Y/N lied.

Richard's mother gasped in shock. "Oh dear! Is your friend alright?"

"I'm not sure ma'am. I'm going to the hospital right now."

"Well, do you need someone to send you there?" Richard's mother asked.

"No it's alright. I have someone else coming to pick me up. Again, I'm really sorry to ruin your evening." Y/N said before grabbing her coat and leaving the house.

She stood outside for a few minutes before she sees a green car pull over in front of her. The window rolled down to reveal Benny with a worried expression on his face. Y/N hopped into the front seat and quickly closed the door. Benny didn't bother asking what happened, instead he brought them to the park they always went to. When they reached, Benny opened the door for her and helped her out. He brought her to their usual bench and sat her down before taking a seat next to her.

"You going to tell me what's going on?" Benny asked calmly. That's when Y/N broke into tears again. She buried her face in her hands as she sobbed. Benny, seeing the situation, looked at her for a moment before embracing her tightly. The both of them just sat there as Y/N cried onto Benny's chest.