Chapter Thirteen

1962

(3rd person POV)

Benny had already left and Y/N was just dreading to see her mother. But she knew her mother deserved an explanation. She headed down the stairs and saw her mother cooking in the kitchen.

She walked over to her.

"Need any help?" Y/N asked.

"Just chop us the vegetables please." Her mother told her.

Y/N did as she was told.

"So mom, about what you saw..." Y/N glanced at her mother.

"What about it?" Her mother asked calmly while cracking eggs into a pan.

"Uhh...you're not mad or disturbed or whatever parents feel when they see their kids doing something they weren't supposed to be doing?" Y/N raised an eyebrow when she said this.

Mrs. L/N froze. She turned to her daughter.

"Did the both of you-"

"WHAT? NO MOM! WE DIDN'T!" Y/N cut her mother off.

Mrs. L/N let out a sigh of relief.

"Then whatever do you mean Y/N/N?" She asked.

"Mom," Y/N took her mother's hands. "I'm engaged to Richard and you just saw me kissing Benny. Doesn't that concern you?"

"Now why would that concern me?" Mrs. L/N said as she rested her hand on her daughter's cheek. "You listened to your heart Y/N, I'm glad you did the right thing. Besides, I never liked Richard and I don't think your father does either. And the Watts' boy is really cute isn't he?"

Both of them laughed.

"Oh yeah, about dad,"

Mrs. L/N gave a look of confusion to her daughter.

"Please don't tell him about me and Benny. As much as he doesn't like Richard's family, I don't think he'll be happy when he finds out I'm not exactly being faithful to my fiancé." Y/N explained.

"Y/N... you and I both know that we shouldn't keep this from your father." Mrs. L/N said in a gentle voice.

"I know, I know. But to avoid any possible misunderstandings, it's best that we don't tell him anything first. Please mom!" Y/N pleaded.

Mrs. L/N sighed but nodded.

Y/N engulfed her mother in a huge hug.

"Thanks mom." She whispered into her mother's shoulder.

Mrs. L/N smiled.

"It's really nothing Y/N/N."

Suddenly there was the smell of smoke. The two of them immediately pulled away. The pan was on fire. Y/N immediately turned of the gas and the fire went out shortly after that. The mother and daughter duo looked at each other in shock.

"Pizza?" Mrs. L/N asked

"Don't need to ask me twice." Y/N said quickly.

________________________________________________________________________________

Y/N sat on her bed, flipping through the latest newspaper that was just delivered earlier today. She had her other hand grasping the telephone, a grin stretched across her face as she waited for the other line to pick up.

"Hello?" An all too familiar voice called from the other side.

"Hey." She said softly.

Y/N could feel Benny smile from the other side of the line.

"Miss me already L/N?" Benny teased.

"Pssh! In your dreams Watts!" Y/N joked.

Benny laughed.

"What did you mom say about, you know..."

"Well, we're safe. Honestly, I think she's already planning for our wedding." Y/N snickered.

"Damn." Was all Benny could say.

"Um, Benny?"

He hummed in response.

"I was thinking about what to do about, you know, the whole Richard thing. The only other way out of this marriage is paying off the debt..." Y/N explained slowly.

The other line remained quiet, so Y/N went on.

"So I've decided I'll take up any job that is being offered to me. Back then, I was selective with the opportunities given. But I guess, different times call for different measures."

The other line was still silent.

"Benny are you there?" Y/N asked.

"Yeah, yeah I'm still here. I was just thinking." Benny reassured.

"About what?" Y/N asked.

"Y/N at the speed you're going with this, I don't think we can repay the debt in time."

Y/N furrowed her brows.

"We?"

"You didn't think I'd let you do this all on your own did you?" Y/N could practically feel him smirking at the other end.

"No Benny. I can't, it's your money. I can't take it from you!"

"People say that if you have money, you'd be happy. How can I be happy when the woman I love isn't?" Benny said calmly.

Y/N was speechless.

"I see that I've won this argument." Benny joked from his end.

Y/N glared at the phone knowing very well that he couldn't see it.

She rolled her eyes and returned back to the newspaper.

Her eyes fell on a small section.

PIANO COMPITITION IN CINCINNATI

The Baldwin Piano Company has planned a piano competition which will take place next year in 1963. For more details or if you wish to sign up, please contact us using this number: xxx-xxx-xxx.

"Y/N? Y/N are you still there?" Benny asked. "Y/N you've been quiet for a long time now."

"I'll call you back." Y/N said

"Wait wha-" Y/N hung up before he could finish his sentence.

She quickly dialed the number on the paper. After three rings, a female voice picked up.

"Hello?"

"Hi, my name is Y/N L/N. I'd like to ask a few questions regarding to your piano competition?"