Chapter Twenty Two

1967

(3rd person POV)

The door rattled as Y/N swung it open and yanked out the keys from the keyhole.

She felt around for the light switch.

When she finally felt it between her fingers, she flicked it and the light next to the door turned on.

She shuffled into the small house, arms filled with groceries, before using her foot to kick the door closed. She walked over to the counter and placed all the items in her hands onto it.

Then, she walked over to the other end to turn on the rest of the lights.

For someone who's such a famous chess player, Benny Watts sure lived in a dingy place.

Even after months of persuasion, Y/N still can't get her idiot boyfriend to move out of this place. Instead, his reply was always: "Too many memories in this place. Can't let it go. Would be a great place to raise kids don't you think?"

To which she would say: "Who said I was going to marry you?"

Which would be the start of their playful bickering.

By the time Y/N finished placing the groceries in their rightful places, she walked over to the (only) bedroom and started rummaging through the closet. Pushing aside her side of the clothes, she pulled out one of Benny's shirts.

Slipping out of her current outfit, she pulled the shirt over her head and tugged it down to fit it down. Due to Benny's height and his love for oversized sizes, the shirt fell to her mid thigh.

She sat down on the bed and leaned back onto the headboard. She stared at the clock on the wall.

4:30 pm

4:35 pm

4:40 pm

4:45 pm

4:50 pm

Her eyelids grew heavier and heavier and before she knew it, she fell asleep.

________________________________________________________________________________

The loud rattling sound of keys awoke her from her slumber.

Still half asleep, she sat up slowly. She sleepily rubbed her eyes and ran a hand through her hair to untangle it.

Loud footsteps approached the room and the door opened to reveal Benny.

"Surprise." Y/N said groggily.

When he laid eyes on her, he froze on the spot.

"Take a picture, it'll last longer." Y/N smirked.

Benny blinked and shook his head to make sure he wasn't hallucinating.

"Y/N?"

"Who else would it be?" Y/N joked.

"What are you doing here?" Benny asked, leaning on his door as he spoke.

"I could leave if you want." Y/N said, starting to stand up from the bed.

"Wait! No, no that's not what I meant!" Benny quickly went over to her and wrapped his arms around her.

"I missed you." He kissed her shoulder.

"I missed you too." Y/N smiled as she ran a hand through his blonde hair and hugged him back.

"You know, I didn't take you as the type to talk to yourself- Oh!"

The couple turned to face the source of the sound.