Chapter Fourteen

1962

(3rd person POV)

"Benny I'm not joking! This competition's first prize money is literally three quarter of the amount of the debt! That's how much money it is! I have to do it! If we add up the money I'll make from the piano gigs and performances that I'll do before the competition, we'll have more then enough!" Y/N exclaimed.

Benny could still barely process what was happening.

"Benny? Hello? You there?" Y/N waved a hand in front of his face.

"Sorry, just trying to process everything." Benny shook his head.

Y/N's nose scrunched up.

"What is there to process?" 

Benny gave her a look.

"About ten minutes ago, my girlfriend called me and told me to get my 'chess loving ass' over here because she had some really important news to tell me after she hung up on me last night! And now she's telling me she wants to enter a competition in Cincinnati next year that contains prize money that is three quarter of the debt she has to pay off! OF COURSE I NEED TO PROCESS THIS!" Benny exclaimed while running a hand through his hair.

Y/N looked at him.

"Girlfriend?" She asked.

"Was that the only thing you heard from my entire rant?" Benny asked with his face scrunched up. "Yes, your basically my girlfriend, I mean what else do we use to address...us?"

Y/N shrugged.

"Okay, we're getting side-tracked!" Y/N said snapping back into focus. "So can I or can I not go?" Y/N crossed her arms over her chest.

Benny looked up at her. She was giving him a pleading look that made his heart melt, almost literally.

"Fine..." Benny mumbled.

 A wide smile spread across Y/N's face.

"On one condition." Benny suddenly added. "I'm going with you." 

"DEAL!" Y/N exclaimed almost immediately. She went over and embraced her lover.

"I love you." She mumbled into his shoulder.

"I love you too." He said and kissed the top of her head.

________________________________________________________________________________

"Mrs. L/N, I insist! You don't need to pay for the trip! I've got it covered!" Benny was trying to persuade Y/N's mother but to no avail.

"Nonsense! You think I'd let you kids spend a single penny on the fees? What kind of parent would I be!" Mrs. L/N exclaimed.

"But-" Benny was cut off by her.

"You kids just sit back and relax. I bet the competition's going to have you both stressed. I've got the expenses for this trip settled." Mrs. L/N reassured.

 Before Benny could utter another word, Y/N came back and sat beside him.

"I've just finished signing up, we just need to pay the entrance fee before next year." She explained.

"How much is the entrance fee?" Her mother asked.

"100 dollars. I've got it covered." Y/N said as she snuggled into Benny's chest.

Mrs. L/N nodded.

"Well, I'll leave you two lovebirds alone." She said before walking off.

The two of them sat in silence as Benny stroked Y/N's hair. 

"Don't overwork yourself okay?" Benny told her softly.

"I won't. I promise." She replied.

She looked up at him and pecked him on the lips before snuggling closer to his chest. 

Suddenly, they heard the front door open and Y/N immediately pushed herself off of Benny. 

Benny looked at her in confusion as her father came into the house. Y/N's eyes followed her father.

Benny followed her gaze. 

"He doesn't know?" Benny mouthed to her.

"No." Y/N mouthed back.

Benny immediately shifted further away from Y/N as much as he dreaded doing so. 

"Hey, dad!" Y/N greeted.

"Hi, Mr. L/N" Benny said politely.

"Evening kids." Mr. L/N said as he placed his briefcase down and walked upstairs.

When the couple heard the door close, they both sighed before immediately moving back next to each other.

"You know Y/N/N, there is something I've been wanting to do with you for a while now." Benny told her.

"If it's what I think it is Benny, the answer is still no." Y/N groaned.

"No, it's not that!" Benny reassured.

He pulled out a chess set from underneath the table.

Y/N gave him a look of confusion.

"I asked your mom. I knew you had a chess set in your house." Benny said to her. "I remember playing against your dad when I was younger. It was a really close call that time." He set up the pieces. "Your father is really good." He remarked.

"I mean, he was the best player in his school. I guess he just stopped playing as time went by." Y/N said, looking at Benny as he set up the pieces.

When he was done, he looked at her.

"Fancy a game?"

"Benny, you know I don't play." Y/N told him.

"Correction, you refuse to play. You know the rules Y/N, you just don't want to play it."Benny chuckled.

"That's because I'm terrible at it!" Y/N laughed.

"I can help you with that." Benny suggested.

"Please, you would need an immense amount of patience to teach me. I really am not a fast learner!" Y/N said.

"Says the girl who topped her class all throughout fifth grade!" Benny pressed.

Y/N rolled her eyes.

"C'mon Y/N! I mean it's only fair. You taught me about the piano, well sort of, now I'll help you with chess." He was basically begging at this point, pouting slightly.

Y/N groaned.

"You're lucky I love you." She said and went over to the black pieces.

Benny smiled at her.

"Shall we begin?"