Chapter Twenty Three

1967

(3rd person POV)

Being woken up by the sounds of the morning traffic was not how Beth envisioned her stay with Benny to be.

Groaning, she groggily sat up to see the blonde pouring two cups of coffee. She stumbled slightly and slid off the air bed.

"Careful." A voice said beside her.

She looked up and saw Y/N sitting crossed legged on a chair with a magazine on her lap, and mug in one hand.

Beth stumbled as she stood up. Benny walked over and handed her one of the cups he was holding.

"You can get changed in my bedroom." Benny told her as he sipped on his coffee.

Beth smiled playfully.

"I need a shower." She said softly, bringing the cup to her lips.

Benny turned around and pointed to the poor excuse of a shower next to the fridge.

"She's all yours." He said before walking off.

Beth must've been staring at it for too long.

"If you're worried that Benny will rip off the shower curtains while your in there you can put your mind at ease." Y/N flipped to the next page of the magazine.

"I will personally lock him out of the house if he does so." Y/N smiled at the girl.

Beth, in return, smiled back

________________________________________________________________________________

The door creaked as she opened the door. Tugging her cardigan over her shoulder, Beth walked over to the table where Benny had set up the chess board.

"Here, we'll start with these." He placed a stack of books next to her seat.

Beth picked the first thing on the stack.

"The Hastings Christmas Chess Congress." She read aloud.

"Falaise Hall, White Rock Gardens."

"Record of games."

"Luchenko-Uhlmann. Borgov-Penrose."

She picked up the next one.

"Grandmaster Chess. Whoo!" She cheered.

Benny gave her a look.

"Play the Hastings games first." He told her while adjusting his chess pieces. "I'll play black."

"I haven't had any breakfast." Beth deadpanned.

"I think Benny here is trying to starve you Beth." Y/N joked as she placed a plate of pancakes next to her.

"But then again, he starves himself too. If it weren't for me, this poor man has probably starved to death by now."

"My hero." Benny rolled his eyes.

Beth chuckled at their interaction.

"Thank you." She turned to look at Y/N.

"Anytime. Enjoy." She patted her shoulder before walking back to the sink to clean up.