Chapter Twenty One

1966

(3rd person POV)

For someone who is not usually a morning person, Y/N sure did have a weird habit of getting up early whenever she was with Benny.

He could either be asleep or awake when this happens but today, he was still asleep.

Deciding to start the day without Benny for a change, she crawled out of bed.

________________________________________________________________________________

When Benny woke up to an empty space next to him, he was confused to say the least. He got out of bed, did his morning routine, changed, grabbed his chess set, and went out in search of Y/N.

After getting to the lobby, he scanned the floor until his eyes landed on a familiar Y/H/C haired girl.

"You know, most girlfriends wake their partners up before leaving."

Y/N rolled her eyes before turning around to look at him.

"And where did you read that from? Your book?"

Benny was about to argue back but Y/N held her hand up to say that she was not done talking. 

"You were probably tired after yesterdays matches. Thought it would be nice to let you sleep in." She finished, turning back to her book.

Benny shook his head and smile. He still had no clue how he managed to get a girl like her.

He sat down next to her and placed a hand on her thigh comfortingly.

"Thanks."

"Don't mention it." She said, closing her book to look at him.

Benny grinned and leaned in to kiss her.

Once they pulled away, Y/N asked,

"What matches do you have today?"

"Oh, nothing special you know. The only highlight event is the match between me and Harmon." Benny shrugged.

Y/N furrowed her brows.

"You're going against Harmon today?" 

"Yeah, no big deal." Benny said nonchalantly.

Y/N raised an eyebrow.

"You haven't forgotten the bet have you?" 

"'Course I haven't," Benny smirked. "Prepare to pay up L/N"

"I could say the same for you Watts." 

________________________________________________________________________________

Benny and Beth stood in the middle of an eager crowd. 

Y/N's heart was pounding as Benny extended his hand to Beth for a handshake and said something she couldn't quite catch.

Beth mutters a response in which Y/N can't hear, before she takes a seat, not returning Benny's handshake.

Both players sat down at their respective places.

As Benny adjusted his pieces, Beth's eyes darted around the area. Y/N could tell she was nervous. 

When Benny pressed the button on the clock, Beth took a deep breath and analyzed the board thoroughly. After a while, she finally made her move.

This went on for a long time.

Both players moving the pieces across the board quickly, as if they were racing.

Minutes turned to hours as the match went on. Y/N could see Beth growing more and more stressed by the minute. At this rate, she didn't even care about the bet. All she wanted to do was comfort the young girl for she looked way too pitiful. She looked over at Benny who also wore a slightly worried expression on his face while looking at the girl. 

Beth was rubbing the back of her neck nonstop to try and calm her nerves but to no avail. Soon, she realized that there was no way out. Benny noticed it too.

Beth reluctantly extended her hand to him. Benny stared at her for a second before accepting it.

"Tough game." He commented before walking away as the crowd rang with applause.

The look of hurt on Beth's face broke Y/N's heart. Even though they've never actually met each other, she still felt a sense of responsibility to the young girl as if she were her sister. Y/N could only sympathize for her as Beth stormed away.

"I believe you have something of mine." A voice said behind her.

She turned around and was met with Benny's smirking face. 

The pianist rolled her eye, reached into her pocket and pulled out a ten dollar bill before shoving it into Benny's open palm.

"Pleasure doing business with you." He grinned.

"Yeah, yeah whatever. Just so you know, if you both ever have an official rematch, the bet is back on." She glared.

Benny chuckled at her determination.

"Come on, I need a drink. That match was tiring enough as it is." Benny slung an arm around her shoulders.

Y/N rolled her eyes but followed nonetheless.