Chapter Seventeen

1963

(3rd person POV)

Y/N woke up to a sunny morning. She rubbed her eyes to wake herself up a little before getting up, or at least tried to get up. 

A pair of strong arms was wrapped firmly around her waist. She turned around slightly and saw Benny peacefully sleeping next to her. She shook her head playfully and gently pried his hands off of her.

She then scurried into the bathroom with her necessities.

When she came out, she was fully awake and fresh. She grabbed her favorite light blue dress and slipped it on, adjusting the little cap sleeves on her shoulders. 

While she was attempting t tie the ribbon around her waist, she felt a pair of hands over hers.

She turned around and was face to face with Benny.

He didn't say a word but spun her around again and finished tying off the ribbon. When he was done, she said to him.

"I didn't hear you get up."

"I tend to do that a lot." Benny said sleepily.

"Well since you're up," Y/N turned to face him. "Go get cleaned up."

Benny did a playful salute before walking towards the bathroom and shutting the door.

________________________________________________________________________________

By the time the crowds started flooding in, the couple was already seated in the exact same corner to not draw attention towards themselves. 

Y/N had tied her hair back for she was sweating vigorously. Saying she was nervous was and understatement. As much as Benny wanted to comfort her, he too was a bottle of nerves.

Soon, the room was full and the judges went on stage. 

"Thank you all, for participating in this competition. We've thought long and hard over the night and we have came up with our final decision on the top three winners." Announced the first judge.

"When you're name is called, please step onto to the stage to receive your prize." Said the second.

"The second runner up goes to..." There was a pause. "Alice Johnson." Applause filled the room as a girl with straight raven hair stepped on stage to receive her prize before walking to the side. 

"The first runner up goes to, Christopher Miller." Just like before, applause rang out from the room as a man with brown hair, dressed in a suit went up and did the same as the previous girl.

"Lastly, the first place goes to..." A hush fell among the crowd. Although Benny wasn't one to count on luck, he had his fingers crossed.

"Annie Clark." 

The cheers were the loudest among the three as a young girl with long red hair, dressed in a yellow dress with daisies embroidered on it, stepped onto the stage with a bright smile on her face.

Y/N couldn't help but smile too.

Even though she didn't win, it truly made her day to see this young girl so happy.

After the award ceremony, they walked out of the room, side by side. 

"I'm sorry you didn't win Y/N/N." Benny comforted.

"It's alright Benny." Y/N reassured. "It was a possibility anyway. I'm just happy that it's over."

Benny chuckled at her.

"Miss L/N, wait!" 

The couple turned around.

It was the young girl from before.

Annie.

She looked at the two.

"Oh, are you both busy? Am I interrupting something?" She asked, her head tilted to the side a little.

"Uh, no. In fact I was just leaving. I'll see you around Y/N/N." Benny pretended to walk off after that.

"Can I help you?" Y/N asked politely when she turned back to look at the girl.

She nodded.

"I came to tell you that you played wonderfully. I've never seen anyone with as much passion and talent as you!" The girl gushed, her eyes sparkling with admiration.

Y/N giggled.

"That's very kind of you Annie. You play just as beautifully too. Congratulations on the win by the way." Y/N said kindly.

"Oh, erm. Thank You, but you really shouldn't congratulate me-" Y/N cut her off before she could finish.

"Oh it's alright to be proud of it, no need to be so humble." Y/N laughed.

"But I should Miss L/N-" 

Y/N held her hand up.

"Y/N" She corrected.

"Right, Y/N. I shouldn't be proud of this award, because it's not mine to begin with." Annie explained.

Y/N's eyes widened.

"What do you mean?" She asked clearly confused.

"The judges had the names mixed up, they meant to say your name."

Y/N was at a lost for words.

"So, this belongs to you." Annie said while handing her the trophy. "They'll mail you the check in exactly one week's time." 

Y/N just stared at her in disbelief.

"You're joking right?" Y/N croaked out.

Annie shook her head firmly.

Slowly, Y/N reached out to take the trophy.

"You deserved it Y/N. Who knows, maybe someday I'll be just as good as you!" The girl said happily.

Y/N looked at her with a gentle smile on her face.

"You already are Annie." She wrapped her arms around the young girl's torso in a hug. The girl didn't hesitate the hug her back.

"Can I ask you something?" Annie asked after they pulled away.

"Go on." Y/N said.

"How do you motivate yourself to continue playing the piano? And when you do, how do you play it with so much passion and emotion into it?" 

"Well, I just tell myself that playing the piano is what I love to do and no one can tell me otherwise. I also tell myself that even if there are others who try to shut me down, there always be people around me who care. And even if there isn't, you should always stay true to yourself. When I play, I basically get lost in the music. It's a feeling that brings comfort to me in any situation I'm in. I believe you'll feel the same too." Y/N told her.

Annie nodded in understanding.

"That's amazing!" She said with a sigh.

Y/N just chuckled at her.

"Can I ask you one more thing?"

"Sure."

Annie looked around before leaning towards her ear and whispered.

"Are You and Benny Watts together?"

Y/N reddened slightly but kept her composure.

She cheekily placed her finger on her lips to indicate that it's meant to be a secret.

Annie nodded and did a zip motion with her hands over her lips.

Y/N smiled. She took out a small notebook from her pocket and wrote something down before ripping it out and handing it the the girl.

"If you ever need any help at all on the piano, give me a call." She said to her.

Annie gratefully took the paper and said a quick "yes" before giving her a quick hug and went off.

Y/N giggled at her cute behavior before she walked off to find him.

Boy, was he in for a surprise.