Chapter Nineteen

1963

(3rd person POV)

The Blacks wasted no time when it came to announcing that the engagement was called off. Exactly the day after Y/N sent the letter to Richard, the news broke out about the the now broken up couple. Richard decided it was a good a good idea to spread false rumors about his former fiancée to save his family's image, much to Y/N's displeasure. 

But in all honestly, Y/N could not care less. Richard was finally off her back and she can finally do whatever she wants without needing to suffer a long rant from him. Even her parents felt an immense relief. However, Benny did not share the same feeling of relief when the news broke out.

Knowing how intense the media can be, he was worried for the young pianist after being personally targeted by the media himself. Y/N however, shook his worries off.

"I'm telling you, it's really fine! The last thing I need now is to worry about the press riding up my back." Y/N rolled her eyes. "I should be focusing on my job Benny, so can you please drop it!"

"But that's the thing!" Benny exclaimed while throwing his hands in the air. "The stupid news has tons of crap written about you, this will ruin your reputation! No one's going to want to hire you!"

"You're being dramatic. Not everyone reads the news you know." Y/N told him without looking up from the book she was reading. 

Benny shook his head, his hands on his hips.

"You're as stubborn as an ass." He muttered under his breath.

"Look who's talking." Y/N mumbled.

Benny sighed and sat down next to her.

"I'm not..." Benny's voice trailed off. "Look, all I'm asking is for you to think about it. The last thing I want is for you to end up jobless."

Y/N's eyes softened as she looked up at him.

She nodded.

Benny smiled and patted her head.

"I'll see you later." He said before kissing her cheek and heading out.

Y/N glanced at the paper on the table. Her face on the front cover seem to laugh at her as her eyes linger on it. 

Y/N sighed. She may be one to give up easily but lately, it seems that's the only thing on her mind.

Yes, what Benny said is true. She hasn't been getting any calls for any job after the whole newspaper outbreak. She was still waiting, hoping that someone will just ring her phone up and get her back into performing.

She closed her book gently.

Maybe Benny was right. Maybe it really is that serious. Maybe she should do something about it.

These thought echoed inside her head like a speaker on repeat. 

But, it seems that Benny was already one step ahead of her.

________________________________________________________________________________

"Now for our last question Mister Watts," The reporter looked down at her cards. "There have been rumors circulating that you and Miss Y/N L/N are in a romantic relationship. What do you have to say to that?"

Benny paused, the gears in his head trying to work out a suitable answer. 

With all the false rumors Richard has been spreading around, it's almost impossible to find an appropriate answer without linking it to another rumor that will just make things worse. 

"Where did you get this information from?" Benny leant forward as he asked the woman.

The reporter, obviously startled at the question, blinked twice before clearing her throat. 

"It was on the front page for a while. Especially now with the statements from Mr. Richard Black, head of the Black company." She answered as politely as possible.

Benny nodded.

"Let me guess, they aren't exactly good news." Benny quipped sarcastically. 

"I-um-well...."

"I don't know if you'll print this or not but I can tell you one thing's for sure. Whatever that two-faced jerk Black says is not true. Y/N is the sweetest person I know. She would never do anything as deranged as what Black says on the news. And if anyone is asking about me and Y/N, that is not up for discussion. What happens in our personal lives, stay in our personal lives" Benny took a deep breath before finishing.

"That is all, good day."

Before he stood up and left.