Chapter Sixteen

1963

(3rd person POV)

Y/N took a final glance at the mirror, looking at her lilac dress and adjusting the straps to a more comfortable position. She felt a hand on her lower back. She looked up and saw Benny wrapping his arms around her. He pecked her cheek.

"Relax, you'll do great." Benny said as he nuzzled into the crook of her neck.

Y/N wanted to say something back, but decided that it was useless. Instead she just rolled her eyes at him.

"Come on, let's go. I want to be there early." She said as she walked away to gran her coat and scores.

Benny followed quietly.

They soon reached the room. Y/N handed her information slip to one of the workers and entered.

The hall was lit with an orange-yellow light making it seem like the sun was shining through the windows. The spotlights were directly positioned at the grand piano in the center of the stage.

"Damn. The place is nice isn't it?" She heard Benny say behind her.

She turned to look at him.

"You shouldn't be in here." She sighed. "If any, and I mean any, reporters see you here...Richard is going to lock me in my room for the rest of my life."

Benny chuckled.

"Don't worry. I've got friends looking out for me." He turned around and playfully 'saluted' one of the men at the door.

Y/N just shook her head at his childishness.

"You good with these surroundings?" Benny asked her while looking around. "Don't what you to be walking on eggshells when you're up there."

"Don't remind me." Y/N mumbled under her breath.

Benny looked at her. He was about to say something but was cut off by the announcer telling everyone to take their seats as the competition was about to begin.

Y/N pulled Benny to the darkest corner of the room to avoid any peeping busybodies that could potentially alert the news that THE Benny Watts was here.

You both took your seats as it began.

________________________________________________________________________________

"Was that it?" Benny asked as they walked out. "You didn't even play."

Y/N gave him a look.

"Were you not listening Benny?" She asked, annoyed.

"It's an intermission. The judges need a break too you know. I'm the last contestant on the list."

Benny's mouth formed an 'o' shape to show that he just realized this whole thing.

Y/N, satisfied with his reaction, was about to walk away but froze midway.

Benny furrowed his brows.

"Y/N? You okay?" He asked while holding her arm.

Y/N didn't reply. Instead she dragged him into a nearby open room and slammed the door.

"Y/N?! WHAT ARE YOU DOING?" Benny exclaimed.

"SHH!!" Y/N shushed before looking through the blinds of the door.

Benny followed her gaze and his eyes widened.

Richard stood next to the counter talking to his parents about something.

What on earth was he doing here?

"Crap," Benny muttered under his breath.

"Why the heck is he here?" Y/N grumbled while glaring at Richard through the slits of the door.

Richard must've felt something because he turned around and Y/N on instinct pressed her back against the wall.

Benny snickered at her.

"You do realize that he can't exactly see us right? The blinds basically cover us."

Y/N just rolled her eyes.

Suddenly something fell behind them.

Y/N jumped.

That's when they realized, they were in a janitors closet. That would explain the tightness of the room.

Y/N decided that looking around the room wasn't going to do anything so she continued looking out through the blinds.

Her eyes followed his figure until she was sure he was out of sight.

"Okay, the cost is clear. Let's g-" She stopped.

Benny was staring intensely at her with an unreadable expression on his face.

"What are you-" Benny cut her off by smashing his lips on hers, kissing her softly. Of course, Y/N kissed him back.

Her hands travelled to his neck while his where on her lower back. He pulled her in closer and the kiss deepened.

His lips slowly travelled down to her jawline, pressing small kisses as he continued going down to her neck.

When he pulled away, he immediately captured her lips onto his again before Y/N lightly pushed him away.

"We should stop, the break is almost over anyway." She whispered.

Benny reluctantly agreed.

She pulled him out of the closet and back to the hall.

The rest of the competition went by as a blur and before they knew it, Y/N was called to go backstage to prepare.

Y/N stood up and was about to walk away but Benny pulled her down again.

"Benny I need to go." Y/N said urgently as she tried to stand up again. But Benny held her down firmly. He pecked her on the lips.

"For luck." He whispered into her ear before finally letting her go.

Y/N slowly walked away while clutching her scores tightly. Her heels clicked softly against the floor. She was led backstage where the next two contestants were waiting in line.

She sat down and tried breathing slowly to calm herself down.

Time seemed to go by quickly and soon Y/N's name was called. She shakily stood up and steadied herself. Her legs felt like jelly and could just give up on her right then and there but she used every bit of strength she had to force herself to walk over to the end of the stage to wait for the announcer to announce her name.

She took a deep breath, but her nerves were still tingling and she felt like she could pass out any second.

Then she felt something around her wrist.

The bracelet.

Her eyes travelled down to it. Instantly, a wave of comfort was washed over her and just then the announcer had said her name.

She walked out with confidence written all over her face.

When she got to the piano, she bowed before sitting and placing her scores.

Her hands found it's way to the keys, and she played.

Fantaisie Impromptu by Frédéric Chopin

A well known piece, but difficult to master. Yet, Y/N played it with such ease that it looked as if she were playing a simple piece. Emotion was written all over her face as se poured her soul into her playing.

When she finished, she had a loud round of applause.

Relief, was the only thing she felt at that moment.

She did it.

It's over.