Chapter Eight

1962 6th of November

(3rd person POV)

"When you said dress formally, I did not think that included me you know that?" Benny mumbled under his breath while tugging a his tie as they got out of his car.

"What did you think Benny? You think that you can just show up in you weird cowboy hat and coat to a gala? Do you even know what a gala is?" Y/N snapped.

Benny stayed silent and Y/N's eyes widened.

"Oh My Gosh, don't tell me." Y/N exclaimed.

"I know what a gala is Y/N! I just don't know much." Benny mumbled the last part to himself.

Y/N rolled her eyes.

"Idiot." She muttered before stepping in front of Benny to help him fix his tie that he kept tugging on. She noticed that he still had his signature dagger strapped onto his belt. She gave him a look as if to say 'really?' before shifting her focus back to his tie.

Benny stared at her as she did this.

"You look beautiful." He told her.

Y/N was suddenly thankful that the evening sky was dark as it could hide her blushing red cheeks. She looked down at her dark red, sleeveless evening gown with a a V-neckline.

"Thanks. You don't look too bad yourself either." Y/N said as she finished fixing his tie.

"Shall we?" Y/N asked as she took his arm. Benny just smiled in response.

Both of them entered the museum and showed their invites to the ushers before heading into the main area.

"Ah Y/N! You're here!" A voice exclaimed.

Both Y/N and Benny turned around to see a middle aged woman dressed in a dark green gown coming towards them.

"I'm Julia Garcia, the director of this museum." The woman introduced as she stuck out her hand for Y/N to shake which she did.

"It's very nice to meet you. Uh, this is my best friend Benny Watts. You may have heard of him." Y/N said while gesturing to Benny and he bowed his head slightly.

"Oh, the chess prodigy? It's lovely to meet you." Julia said as she shook his hand. She then turned to look at Y/N.

"Your performance will start in about ten minutes. I'll leave you to prepare. Enjoy the rest of the evening." Julia said with a smile before walking away.

Y/N sighed loudly.

"You okay?" Benny asked whilst looking at her.

"Yea, I should be. Maybe a little nervous?" She said while rubbing her hands together.

"Hey, you'll be fine." Benny said while rubbing her shoulder.

Y/N smiled at him.

"I should go get ready." She said before walking away.

Benny watched as the Y/H/C haired girl walked away. He was already missing her touch on his arm. He still couldn't understand this fuzzy feeling in his chest. Whenever he's around her, time seems to stop and it's a feeling he doesn't want to stop feeling.

"Ah, young love." A male voice said behind him.

Benny turned around to look at a middle aged man.

"Robert Davis. Founder of the museum." The man said and shook Benny's hand.
"I'm-" 

"Benny Watts, US chess champion. I know you. My son's a big fan of yours." Then man smiled at Benny.

"Really?" Benny asked with a raised eyebrow. "Would you like me to give him an autograph?" He said while smirking.

"I'm sure he'll love that." Robert said.

Benny grinned and pulled out a deck of papers that contained his autograph and gave one to the him.

"Do you always carry your autographs with you?" Robert laughed as he pocketed the piece of paper.

Benny shrugged and said "You never know when you'll meet your next fan."

Robert looked at Y/N's direction. 

"She seems like a keeper." He told Benny.

"Who Y/N? No we've been best friends since we were kids." Benny reassured.

"Ah, so it's a long time thing." Robert nodded.

"What no, no, no! You've got it all wrong!" Benny assured.

"Trust me sonny, I said that too when I first met my wife. You are in love alright." Robert said and patted Benny on the shoulder. "Good meeting you Watts." He said before walking away.

Benny stood as still as a statue.

"But I can't have her." he whispered to himself.

________________________________________________________________________________

"Ladies and gentlemen, may I present Miss Y/Full/N." A man announced.

The crowd applauded as she ascended the steps and bowed to them before she sat on the seat. She was about to place her hands on the piano keys but she felt a certain weight on her hand. She looked at the ring on her finger and frowned. The heaviness of the ring was dragging her hand down. She looked up and saw Benny staring. Then she looked down at her bracelet that Benny gave her. She smiled and took of the ring before putting it at the side of the piano. She took a deep breath and her fingers did the rest of the work.

6 Ecossaises by Ludwig Beethoven

A lively start to kick off the mood of the evening. A happy aura surrounded the audience as Y/N played the bubbly piece. When she finished, the crowd politely applauded. When they were done, she moved on to her next piece. 

Gymonopédie No. 1 by Erik Satie

The change in the mood was evident. From the lively tune in the first piece, to a quiet one in this second piece. Some in the audience were even closing their eyes and swaying to the music. Just like the first, the crowd clapped as she finished this second piece and soon moved on to her last piece.

Gnossienne No.3 by Erik Satie

Just like the piece before, the soothing music was calming everyone. Y/N's gentle playing could even put a stressful person at piece. Unbeknownst to her, Benny stared at her in awe throughout the entire performance. This time when she finished, there was a standing ovation for her. She smiled as she stood up and bowed. She quickly took her ring from the piano and went off the stage. 

Benny smiled so much that his cheeks were starting to hurt, yet he couldn't stop. He thought back to what Robert said earlier.

"Crap," He muttered under his breath as Y/N made her way towards him. 

"I'm in love."