Chapter 3

⭑ ⭒ The Triwizard Tournament ⭑ ⭒

Newt smiles to herself as she finishes up her classroom, she places a small dog bed in the corner of her office and her Jack Russel Terrier, Rocco, instantly takes his place in the bed.

Hearing a knock on the door she locks up and puts aside the books she was putting into her shelf, passing the tanks filled with Grindylow and the very large tank with an extendable charm that's filled with a Kelpie, called Kevin, she opens the door.

"Newt?"

She smiles and hugs the Half-Giant, "Hagrid? I haven't seen you in years, how've you been?"

"Good, good, how are you doing?"

"Fine, all fine, would you like a cup of tea?"

Hagrid smiles as he ducks down to get passed, he admires her many creatures sat around the room and ducks as an owl swoops in through the open window, "Just like your grandfather, still, I see."

She smiles and flicks her wand allowing the kettle to begin to boil itself, "So, what's going on with you, Hagrid?"

"Notin' much, Newt, notin' new, what about you?"

Newt sighs as she pours two cups of tea, "Just trying to get my book done."

Just as she begins to pour the tea there's a knock on her door starting her, "Oh, Professor." She smiles as Dumbledore makes his way in, "Tea?"

"No, thank you, how about a brandy?" Newt smiles shaking her head slightly as she hands a cup to Hagrid, "Some fascinating creatures you have, Miss. Scamander."

She looks down as Rocco cautiously sniffs the Professors shoes before trotting away again, "Have you settled in nicely?"

"Yes, is everyone arriving tomorrow? And what's this big secret you have to tell me?"

Hagrid raises his brows as he tries not to blurt out the secret, "You see, Miss. Scamander, Hogwarts has been chosen to host the Triwizard Tournament."

"You mean-"

"Yes, I do mean that one."

Pickett climbs from his small Maple tree in the corner and recahes for Newt making her turn to lift him onto her shoulder, "The students will be arriving tomorrow, is there anything you'll be needing?"

"I'll be fine, thank you, Professor."

Dumbledore nods before leaving again soon followed by Hagrid allowing her to finish unpacking her room.

~~~~~

"Now we're all settled in and sorted, I'd like to make a few announcements. Firstly, I'd like to welcome our new Care of Magical Creature Professor, who will be working alongside our beloved gamekeeper, Hagrid, please welcome, Professor Scamander," Newt stands up and offers a small smile with a nod.

"Secondly, this castle will not only be your home this year but home to some very special guests as well. You see Hogwarts has been chosen..."

Dumbledore's cut off by Filch running up the tables, his knees going high into the air as he runs down the tables. Filch and Dumbledore talk quietly for a moment before he takes off running again.

"So Hogwarts has been chosen to host a legendary event. The Tri-Wizard tournament.
Now for those of you who do not know, the tri-wizard tournament brings together three schools for a series of magical contests. From each school a single contestant is selected to compete."

"Now let me be clear, if chosen, you stand alone. And trust me when I say these
contests are not for the faint hearted, but more of that later. For now please join me in welcoming the lovely ladies of the Beauxbatons Academy of magic and their headmistress Madam Maxine."

A number of girls dressed in short blue dresses walk into the Great Hall followed by a very tall woman, they give of dreamily sighs as butterflies surround them.

"And now our friends from the North, please greet the proud sons of Drumstrang and the high master Igor Krakaroff."

A group of older boys walk through the doors with large staffs, they're wrapped in warm clothing as their headmaster follows them down the path.

"Albus!" The Headmaster exclaims.

"Igor."

"Your attention please," Dumbledore calls, "I would like to say a few words. Eternal glory, that is what awaits the student who wins the tri-wizard tournament. But to do this that student must survive three tasks. Three extremely dangerous tasks."

"For this reason the ministry has seen fit to impose a new rule. To explain all this we have the head of the department of international magic cooperation Mister Bartimus Crouch."

Thunder roars overhead on the ceiling, rain begins leaking through the roof and screams break out amongst the students. A man stands in the doorway, he limps forward looking around the room, he casts a spell upwards and seals the roof.

The man and Dumbledore converse for a moment before walks off to the side sipping from an old flask making Newt raise a brow.

Barty Crouch walks forward taking his place at the front of the Great Hall, "After much deliberation the ministry has concluded that for their own safety no student under the age of seventeen shall be allowed to put forth their name for the tri-wizard tournament. This decision is final."

"That's rubbish! You don't know what you're doing!"

"Silence!"

Dumbledore casts a spell over a box which melts into a goblet containing a large blue flame.

"The Goblet of Fire. Anyone wishing to submit themselves for the tournament merely write their name upon a piece of parchment and throw it in the flame before this hour on Thursday night. Do not do so lightly, if chosen there's no turning back. As from this moment the tri-wizard tournament has begun."