Chapter 6

⭑ ⭒ ⭑ ⭒ Back to Hogwarts ⭑ ⭒ ⭑ ⭒

"Newt? You're back?"

The class looks up, their downcast faces getting brighter when they're met with the reddy-brown haired teacher standing at the front of the classroom, Phoenix perched on her left shoulder.

"Right you are, Finnigan, I'm back. Take your seats everyone."

They all sit in their usual seats, Gryffindor's one side of the room, with the Golden Trio at the front and then Slytherin's at the other side of the room.

Newt frowns slightly when she notices Draco, he looks very pale, paler than usual, he stares into space his hand resting on his chin.

"Today, Dumbledore has allowed me to take his Phoenix, Fawkes."

"Has he really?" Harry asks raising a brow at his new Guardian.

She sends him a look, "Of course, Harry, what do you take me for?"

He rolls his eyes but smiles anyway as she allows Fawkes to fly off around the room, "If you turn to page 394 you'll find a very detailed page on the uses of Phoenix feather's and tears, written by myself when I was nine years old."

"Really? You have a piece in your grandfather's book?" Hermione asks excitedly.

She nods her head, "A few actually. In his newer books of course, wasn't alive in the fifties to give my say."

There's a clatter as everyone gathers their books from their bags, Newt walks around handing out small leather bound notebooks and Quills, "This will be your diary for the year," She says handing a book to Hermione who giddily takes it, "Your homework will be done in this, your classwork, yes, Hermione," She says not needing to look back to know the girl's hand is raised, "You can also do work for extra credit in here."

"This is your diary, treat it well." She hands out the last book to Blaise Zabini and nods her head towards Draco, Blaise just shrugs his shoulders and she sighs shaking her head as she walks away.

~~~~~

"Oh, Miss. Scamander," A voice calls behind Newt as she walks through the corridors, Rocco close to her side with Paul on the dog's back, "How lovely it is to meet you."

She turns to find an old man extending his hand, "Horace Slughorn, the new Potions Professor."

"Oh, of course, yes," She say shaking his hand, "New-"

"I know who you are, Miss. Scamander," He says finally letting go of her hand, "Say, where you any good of potions in school."

"Well, actually n-"

"Who am I kidding? Of course you were good, how would you like to come to a little dinner party I'm holding soon, a few students I'm sure you know will be there, Potter, Miss. Granger."

"Well, I-"

"You can bring someone of course, if you'd like."

She sighs and closes her eyes for a moment, "Brilliant! I'll see you there, Miss. Scamander."

She stands there opening and closing her mouth trying to disagree with going, "Professor Slughorn," Harry says having witnessed the whole thing, "Dumbledore said he's a collector, likes to have the best there is."

"Trust me, Harry," Newt sighs, "When it comes to Potions, I'm definitely not the best there is. I was worse than Finnigan during my school years, all on purpose most of them but I still didn't have the foggiest when it came to playing with Chemistry sets."