Chapter 7

⭑ ⭒ ⭑ Slughorn's Dinner Party ⭑ ⭒ ⭑

"Do I have to come?" Charlie whines watching as Newt pulls on her shoes.

She nods, "Yes, Charles, I'm not going alone."

"Or, we could stay here," He says wrapping his arms around her waist, "Relax a little, unwind..."

"As much as I love the sound of that, I told Harry and your sister that we'd be there."

He sighs hanging his head back and letting out a groan of frustration, "Fine, but hurry up, if we go now maybe we can leave first."

She chuckles as he drags her to the dungeons, "Oh, we're late, Charlie."

"This is your fault."

"My fault? You're the one who took ages to get ready."

"That I not true, Miss. I-can-never-find-my-shoes."

"Whatever." She rolls her eyes pushing past him to open the door with a low creaks.

"Ah, Miss. Scamander, I was beginning to think you got lost." Slughorn says catching everyone's attention.

She smiles shyly, although it's taking everything in her not to say she didn't actually want to be here, "Sorry, we're late, Professor," She says pushing Charlie forward, "Someone doesn't know the meaning of being on time."

"Sorry we're late, Professor," Charlie says smiling kindly, "Someone couldn't find her shoes."

She rolls her eyes and with a shake of her head sits into the seat between Charlie and Harry, "And who's this you've brought with you, Miss. Scamander?"

"Charlie Weasley, sir, pleasure to meet you." He says giving a polite nod across the table.

Slughorn smiles raising his drink slightly and spilling it over himself, which he doesn't notice, "The pleasure is all mine, Mr. Weasley."

Slughorn begins to make small talk with people around the table, asking them how their families are until he comes to a stop at the couple who are currently quietly bickering about the newest Hungarian Horntail that had been brought it.

"And, what of your parents, Miss. Scamander? Galton, is he doing well, he is you father, right?"

She flushes a light shade of pink and turns to face the other teacher, "No, my father was Gideon, he and his brother didn't get along very well."

"Oh, and your mother."

"Aquila Black, Slytherin Head Girl."

"Oh," He smiles as her remembers one of his favourite students, "A bright pupil, one of my best, how is she?"

Newt's breath catches in her throat and she takes a quick sip of water, "She's, uh-dead."

"Oh," Slughorn's large smile drops and he clears his throat, luckily the doors open and Ginny slowly walks in, "Ah, Miss. Weasley, you're just in time for desert-"

"You okay?" Newt mouths to the young red head girl.

She nods, "Tell you later." She mouths back and sits down in the one empty seat.

Charlie rests his hand on her knee that bounces under the table, "You okay, darlin'?"

She nods, despite the awkward situation butterflies fill her stomach at the new nickname, "Fine, Charlie." She whispers back and goes back to eating her food in peace.