chapter 5

SNAP

"fuck."

while trying to peacefully learn a new song, the high e string had snapped. since this was pretty common, i opened my drawer dedicated to my strings, picks, and tuners.

to my displeasure, i had already used my last one a few weeks ago. i decided to make myself look presentable and then go out to a music store of some sort and try to find more. i showered, picked out my clothes, and did simple makeup.

(headphones not included, vape can be included if you fwi)

after getting ready, i checked the clock. thankfully, mom didn't have to leave for a while so i had some time. walking over to her room, i poked my head in.

"hey. can i take the car for a bit? i just gotta grab something."

"exactly how long is a bit?"

"um, probably an hour? i don't know, i just need to buy some new strings."

sighing, she checked her wrist watch. "fine, but be back before noon. don't do anything dumb."

"thanks mom, love you." i smiled and ran to the door. grabbing the car keys, i made my usual path down the hall, to the elevator, and whichever floor i needed to go to. as i walked to the front door, i waved to the sandersons, who seemed to be just returning to the building from something.

• • •

the car ride over was peaceful. it was a breezy, cloudy day with a hint of sunshine showing through. i used the gps to find a music store, or anything. conveniently, the one with the highest ratings was the closest. it took about 10 minutes to get there, but when i pulled up in the parking lot, i got a glimpse of the store. the sign read, 'music and arts' in bold black letters, with different varieties of instruments and posters of bands and vinyls in the display windows. i opened the front door to the smell of incense, with a girl that was a good couple of years older than me slumped over the counter. she had short, pink and blonde hair with a silver septum piercing that looked like a crescent moon. then, she looked up at me.

"hey hey, welcome to music and arts. let me know if you need help." she smiled warmly at me.

"thanks." i looked down and saw that her name tag read 'gwen' in green bubble letters. "where do you guys keep the guitar strings?"

"the last isle right over there. acoustic strings on the left, electric on the right."

after nodding towards her, i walked over and bent down in front of the rack. running my fingers over the different packs, a door to my right opened up, and a man accompanied by a younger girl came out, who had a guitar case on her back.

"great job with that song, lily. i think if you keep at it, you'll have it down by next week." the pair walked over to a woman, who was handing money to gwen over the counter. the girl, who i assumed was lily, ran over and began excitedly telling her mom about the song she was learning. the mom and man chatted for a bit, until she and her daughter finally left.