chapter 16

mom drove me home from the church.

every 10 minutes or so, she'd ask me a question about the past hour and a half. stuff about what i did, what we talked about, what the band members were like, etc. the way she spaced all this out during the car ride made it obvious to me that she didn't want to seem too interested.

when we finally got back to the apartment, mom walked over to the liquor cabinet and popped open a bottle of wine.

"y/n, i need you to be out of the house at 4 tomorrow. i'm having my coworkers over and i don't need my teen daughter locked up in her room while they're here."

i chuckled. "you're having a party and i'm not invited?"

she tilted her head while filling her wine glass. "ha ha. but i'm serious. you have friends. i'm sure one of them will want to hang out with you."

i nodded. "well, i was thinking of going down to lar-"

"perfect. love you lots, hon."

damn. "it's a school night, though. when do you want me to come back?"

mom stopped for a second. "um..." she thought to herself and sighed. "how about this; you leave me alone tomorrow night, and i let you stay at larry's for however late you want. but don't be mad if you're tired in the morning. and don't be late for school."

she must be in a good mood. i raised my brows. "deal." i began to turn around and walk to my room.

funny how she kicks me out but still doesn't want me to blame her for being tired or late.

she took a large gulp of her wine. "g'night, rockstar."

that made me stop in my tracks. dad used to call me that. i turned to look at her, but she was already laying back on the couch, focused on whatever show was playing on the tv. she unlocked a deep childhood memory but it's just a normal saturday for her, i guess.

i slumped back onto my bed, and pulled out my phone. i pulled up the group chat with everyone.

     •                          little fuckers                               •

                                  < sooooo r we still hanging out

a > yes im ditching family din

s > 🍃 ??

                                                                             < YES
                                 < i have so much to tell u guys

a > omgomg
a > larry wake up

t > Is there plans

s > ye

                                                    < i can bring my bud

s > clutch🤞

l > hi srry just wokr up
l > u guyd can come

a > yay what time

l > noon dats when i wake up

t > Early riser huh

l > bitch yes

                                                              < so sassy wtf