chapter 7

"you want to?"

i thought for a moment.

"it's completely fine if you don't. i don't do this often, by the way." he added this on with a hint of panic in his voice.

i laughed, and lept off the counter. "c'mon sal, i think you know my answer."

he smiled in return.

"but i do have to say, i wouldn't have expected you of all people to be snorting oxycontin."

sal simply shrugged. "me and larry only do this at parties. it's the only time i'm able to get it. so, y'know, it's for special occasions."

i nodded and knelt in front of the counter. "dang sally face."

moving my hair out of my face, i leaned down, held my left nostril and sniffed hard. stumbling back against the wall, i lean my head back and smile.

"i think we're gonna be great friends, sally face." my words were slurred.

sal, who had just snorted his second line, looked back at me, and smiled under his mask. i learned to know when he was smiling by the way his eyes got smaller.

after snorting my second line, sal and i trudged out of the bathroom and made our way to the dance floor towards ash and larry. i tripped over my feet, but sal was able to catch me but holding up my waist. then, he leaned in and whispered in my ear.

"i see larry and ashley." he pointed towards the mob of people, and after a minute of scanning i spotted them dancing together.

i grabbed him by his wrist and lead him through the crowd of people towards larry and ash. once they had seen us, they walked up and ash gave me a hug, losing her balance and putting all her weight on me.

"y/n!!! and sal!!!! i've missed you guys soooo much!!" ash was laughing happily. good to see that someone was enjoying themself.

larry laughed, and hiccupped soon after. him and ash reeked of alcohol. "ahah.. look at these two!! they are out of their fuckin' minds!"

me and sal could only laugh lazily, too disoriented to be in the middle of a dance floor.

"you guys both smell like weed! and alcohol! holy shit, sally face was actually drinking!" ash was rambling about god knows what.

"hah.. so do you ash." i could only form a few words.

suddenly, another familiar voice came behind all of us.

"god, i knew you guys were gonna be dumb, but i didn't know you were gonna be THIS dumb.." the voice of todd was already reprimanding us.

"todd!!"

in unison, everyone gave him a hug. i think his sobriety was a comfort to us. todd had volunteered to stay sober and be the designated driver back to the apartments, and held on to me and larry's phones for us.

todd lead everyone to the kitchen so he didn't have to yell over the music. "it's already 1am. we need to go. oh, your mom's been texting, larry. but don't worry, i replied for you."

larry dazily nodded and smiled, giving todd a thumbs up. "you're the fuckin' man, todd."

we all left out the front door. todd and larry had sal's arms slung over their shoulders, while me and ash had our arms linked. todd unlocked the car and got in the driver's seat. while ash sat in the passenger's seat holding her knees to her chest, i sat in the middle of larry and sal.

the whole ride home consisted of me, larry, sal, and ash talking about anything that came to our minds. to anyone else, this conversation would've sounded like nonsense. todd was pretty silent the whole time, occasionally chiming in here and there.