chapter 19

"uhh, run that one back for me."

i was back with alex's band. he was having me play a few different riffs, but didn't tell me why yet.

i played the previous one again and he nodded. "okay, it seems like you're pretty up to speed with everything. which is perfect, 'cause i need to ask you something."

i cocked my head. "oh?"

alex looked at the other members first, then back at me. "so, you know how reid won't be playing with us pretty soon." i nodded. he continued to speak. "i'd like you to officially take his spot. you are more than capable. and if you agree now, you can perform with us next weekend. we're havin' a little get-together."

my eyes lit up. i didn't even know what to say at first. i looked around at them, and it was one of the first times i had seen jodi smile. well, half smile, i guess. "you.. really mean it?"

alex nodded. vinnie spoke up. "you haven't been giving yourself enough credit, y/n."

i bit my lip trying to hold back my smile. "thank you. i'd love to join you guys."

alex beamed and patted me on the back. "great! now we don't gotta kidnap you or anything." he wheezily laughed, but my expression went blank. "kidding, of course." he quickly added.

jodi checked her watch. "it's 6, by the way. we need to get out of here before they kick us out."

alex rolled his eyes and sighed. "you're right. y/n, i'll let you know about next week."

"al, where the fuck is my lunch?" vinnie had been rummaging around in his bag for a few minutes now.

"why would i know?"

"you're always stealing my food."

"not this time!"

while they bickered over that, jodi walked over to me. "hey."

i looked up, a little surprised. even over the time i had been practicing with them, jodi was always pretty closed off. i never knew if she didn't like me or just didn't like people in general.

"oh, hey."

"i wanted to give you something." she reached behind her and unclipped one of the silver necklaces she had on. "here. a little welcome gift."

she placed it in my hand

she placed it in my hand. i admired it for a second, and looked back up to her. "oh wow, thank you. it's gorgeous."

"don't mention it. you've been doin' good, so might as well. it would probably look better on you anyways."

"i don't know about that. the gems match your hair."

she chuckled. "well, it's time for it to have a new home. keep it."

i nodded and said my thanks to her for the last time. after saying bye to everyone, i walked out the church and to the car.

i couldn't believe it. the universe was really smiling upon me today. they wanted me to join their band? i didn't even care about being famous or rich or anything. sure it was nice, but i thought i was never going to know the feeling of being on a stage and performing with a group again. especially with people as cool as them.