chapter 8

RING RING RING

i held my phone next to my ear, waiting for the other line to pick up.

RING RING RING

"fuck.. pick up, pick up.."

RING RING RING

BEEEEP

"hey! it's alex maroney. sorry i couldn't come to the phone. leave a message at the beep, and i'll get back to you later."

BEEEEEEP

i sighed. "um.. hi mr alex. it's y/n, the one that played everlong for you. i know you told me to call you about playing with your band and all, and um, i really am interested." i sent him my voice message and laid back down. i looked back at my phone. it's 10:37am. i didn't really have any plans for the last day of summer. originally, i was hoping to meet with that band and practice with them for a little, since i had been hanging out with sal, larry, ash, and todd for the past couple days. but, i might as well meet up with them again.

suddenly, as if the universe heard my thoughts, i feel my phone buzz. sal texted me.

> hey y/n
> u wanna drive around n smoke wit evryone ?

i grinned and immediately replied.

< hell yeaaaa
< time?

> its still early so come whenevr u want
> todd n lar r down stairs with me rn
> ash is coming in a few hours

< bet

i decided to get out my guitar and play for a little bit before i started getting ready. i played everything i remembered in 'the man that sold the world.' i forgot how fun that song was to play.

a few songs and one string replacement later, i stopped procrastinating and put on an outfit.

(pic created by me)

i kept my hair down but placed clips a bit above my ears to keep my hair mostly out of my face, and then put on my usual smudgy black eyeliner with rosy tinted lip balm and clear lip gloss.

i made my way to the kitchen, ate some strawberries, then grabbed my phone and key. my last thing to do before leaving was to roll up 2 joints to bring. then, i carefully placed them in my front pocket, with my mini lighter in the other. since mom was asleep, i left a sticky-note explaining what i was doing so i didn't receive any angry phone calls and texts.

i shot sal a text to let him know i was on my way down. i attached my basement keycard to a chain with my house key, a habit since i was starting to go to larry's more frequently. with the door already unlocked, i let myself into larry's apartment. but first, i made sure to knock on lisa's door to say hi. it sucked that she hasn't been feeling good recently.

"larry and sal should be outside in the treehouse, hon." she smiled sweetly at me.

"alright, thank you!" i closed her door gently, and made my way out back. i inhaled the warm summer air. it was now the evening time, and the sky was a beautiful shade of pink, orange, and yellow. the cool breeze danced through my hair as i admired the sky peaking from behind the treeline. i was beginning to really love peaceful moments like this, after living my life surrounded by cars, polluted air, and city lights.