Chapter 1

SOFIA

As the car rolls down the driveway and through the huge opened doors, I still can't believe I'm here. At Wrencore University. I know, it is still one of the safest universities in the country and many of the students also come from important families, but at least it has other students. I am not going to be alone with a tutor anymore, learning about the world locked between four-walls.

"Are you excited, Your Royal Highness?" I can hear Darrel say from the passenger's seat. He is staying in front, next to the driver. Although Darrel has been my bodyguard for almost ten years now, he knows me ever since I was eight, he never agreed to call me by my first name, Sofia. Although I've tried thousands of times to convince him.

"I am," I whisper, looking outside the window. The campus is beautiful. Every building has brick walls, seeming to step out of a fairytale. Something about this place just screams fancy. I love it.

"Should we go over the security measures again?" he asks. I shake my head. I've heard them at least a thousand times so far. Don't draw attention to yourself. Don't go in dangerous situations. Trust no one. Remember you are the princess.

You'll never be able to escape.

"I think we're good here, Darrel," I respond, letting out a small chuckle. His grey eyes wonder to the mirror to see me.

"Your Royal Highness, I just want to make sure you're going to be safe," he whispers and I nod thankfully. When it comes to safety, Darrel has done his job perfectly so far. I've been more than safe. I've been over-safe. Even back home in Cordelia, where I rarely went outside of the palace grounds, he made sure I'll never hurt myself. Every pointy object was taken away from me. Every rose I got had already removed thorns. I can't say that I don't appreciate the efforts he's done and still does for me. Yet, I wish I can live a bit more from now on. Live a normal life. Go to college. Make some friends.

I want the freedom. I want to feel the wind in my hair. I want to feel the thorns.

"Are you sure you want to live in a dorm?" he asks whispering and I snap.

"For the millionth time, yes. I do want to live in a dorm."

Darrel sighs a bit disappointed. Me living in a dorm means more stress for him. He will have to move in the room next door, worrying that I might be poisoned or something and he won't be there. And yet I want to do this. I want to live in a dorm room. Have roomies. Share memories. He's going to be my shadow anyway when I step out of that room. Even when I am in that room. Just because he doesn't live in the same room with me, doesn't mean he can't always be there. My parents agreed to let him be in my shadow 24/7. The only time in which I am free is when I sleep. And that's not exactly what I call freedom.

The car stops and we arrive in front of the college's main building with the secretary and principal's office. The school started two weeks ago, I however was only allowed to arrive today. Given the fact I am a princess, extra security measures had to be taken in order for me to attend. More cameras. Interrogations with the staff. I'm surprised Wrencore actually agreed with me coming here. I guess they only did it for the image. There have been members of royal families attending this university before, but they didn't have one in over twenty years. The other royals my age usually go to the other Ivy Leagues. Which was exactly the reason I chose it.

I want to open my car door, Darrel beats me to it. He opens the door, obviously in his black suit with white shirt and black tie, helping me out. My long dress reaches the ground and I feel so out of place, looking at the other students wearing jeans and T-Shirts. I want to be like them. I can't. And the small tiara on my head right now is a constant reminder of it.