Chapter 57

SOFIA

Three months later

"And the veil..." Mother says, putting my veil on.

"And can I get a little spin?" She continues asking, taking my hand and spinning me like a ballerina. My white gown reacts and spins with me, making Mother remain with her mouth open and speechless.

"You are stunning, dear. You'll make the most beautiful bride." She says, kissing my cheek.

I kiss her back and stare in the mirror. I've always pictured how my wedding day would be. How my gown would look like. This is not what I've dreamt of. I really wanted my wedding dress to come from Chanel. Yet my fiancee, Victor, wouldn't allow me. He said I have to wear a dress from the palace designer. I only nodded, since I don't even care about my wedding to begin with. Because of the second thing I expected to be different. I always pictured my wedding to be with the one I love. And that person isn't Victor. It's Alec. And my fiancée knows it. Hence why his often jealousy outbursts. Yesterday, I caught him destroying the lipstick Alec gave me by setting it on fire. A few days ago, he made me take him to an art gallery. And every time I wanted to cry, he would ask me: "You're not thinking about him again, are you?"

I never wanted this type of love. At the beginning, I used to think Victor is a sweet guy. Someone who cares about me. Now I know he isn't. He's brutal. Jealous. Too jealous.

And yet I marry him. Because I made a promise to my Father the day after Victor proposed. Cordelia and Montcoeur have always been partners. Me and Victor marrying will only strengthen that alliance. Although it comes with the price of my happiness.

Someone knocks at the door and Darrel goes open. He doesn't like the fact I'm marrying Victor. He told me once. I didn't react so well. Better said, I started crying. He hasn't told it to me again ever since. But I know he feels like that. I can see it. In the way he sometimes "randomly" says Alec's name. Or how he sometimes "randomly" brings me strawberries. Or how he sometimes "randomly" shows me a motorbike. All very "random".

The named Victor enters through the door, wearing his usual tux. Mother tries to protest for him to go away, saying it's bad luck for the marriage, yet he doesn't care. Me neither. I want him to come inside so that it will be bad luck for our marriage and we can end this sooner.

"You look stunning, darling!" He says, giving me a kiss. I shiver. I'm feeling cold.

He comes with his mouth closer to my ear and whispers: "Better than the Chanel."

I barely stop the urge to flip him away with my middle finger.

"Did you tell your friends you're engaged?" he asks me, again in a whisper tone.

I shake my head. I haven't told anyone I'm getting married next week. They would only question my sanity and I'm already questioning it. I am going to call my friends today though. There's no one else I'd rather have as bridesmaids than those four girls.

"I'll let them know today." I say. Victor does a sign for the rest of the people in the room to get lost and everyone does as told. Everyone but Darrel, who trusts the guy as far as he can kill him. I give my bodyguard an assuring nod and he leaves as well.

Victor puts some distance between us and sits down on the closest couch.

"So, I came here to discuss a few matters about our wedding." he begins. I nod, since there's nothing else between us that has to be said.

"We'll announce the press tomorrow about our engagement." He says it, not even asking me if I agree. "You'd better call your friends today to let them know."

I nod, being too exhausted and broken to protest.

"Perfect", he says, his voice showing how surprised he is. He probably expected more will power from me. Three months ago I would have had that. Not now.

"The next thing we need to discuss is your name." Victor continues.

"My name?" I ask confused.

You'd better get used to that name, Foxy. One day it will be yours too.

"What would you like your last name to be?"

Dunn. "Estair."

"What's wrong with Cambell?"

"My name is and will be Estair."

He sighs annoyed and comes closer. I immediately take a step back.

He notices. And keeps taking steps forward until I've avoided him so much I end up hitting the wall with my back.

"He's not coming back." Victor says and he doesn't need to say any name for me to know who he's talking about.

"I know", I answer, trying not to show how broken my heart is in my voice.

"Good. You're mine now." He adds and his voice is harsh. He begins kissing my neck, leaving his mark.

"Victor, stop. You're hurting me." I say, trying to push him away. I can already feel the spot aching.

"Say who you belong to." He orders me and doesn't stop.

He's jealous. He's just having one of his outbursts. Your marriage isn't going to look like this.

"I'm yours", I say, my heart paining more than the place he started making his own on my neck. "I'm yours", I whisper again between tears.

He stops and looks at me worried, his eyes sending arrows to the spot on my neck that is now bleeding.

"I am so sorry..." he mumbles, collapsing and sinking his face in my chest. "I am so so sorry."

I can't even think anymore. I can't walk. I can't talk.

I only somehow find strength to let the next few words out.

"I'll ask you to get out."

He doesn't make a sign to move, so I repeat it, my voice more confident.

It's only then he looks up at me and sees how much I mean my words. He nods and whispers: "I am so damn lucky to have you as my bride."

I can't react to that. He notices and leaves.

It's then I allow myself to break. I sink to the floor, making my dress poof around me on the floor.

I quickly let my hair free from the bun I had before and cover up the spot on my neck with it, so that Darrel or Mother won't see anything.

Before I can even think, I take out my phone and call the first person that comes in my mind. She answers on the first ring.

"Soph! Babe!" Nini's voice tones from the other end. I wish I could be there so that she could give me one of those big hugs and tell me I'm going to be alright.

I don't answer from the beginning and she notices something is wrong.

"Are you okay? What happened?"

I take a deep breath and say the one thing I hate I have to say: "Nini, I'm getting married."