Chapter 31

SOFIA

I'm building a snowman with Alec in the backyard of the cabin as my phone starts ringing. I press ignore and stick the carrot nose inside, wanting to spend as much time with my boyfriend as possible. However, the phone quickly fills with more than 50 messages. I sigh exhausted and open it. They're all from my best friends.

NINI: Soph, I am so sorry

NINI: You have to see this

APRIL: Soph, why haven't you said anything?

APRIL: I'm obviously cool with it, but I don't know if they would be

APRIL: If you need help, I can kill anyone for you

APRIL: Just say the names...

DIA: Tell me if you need help after this.

NESSIE: You can do it, Soph.

NESSIE: I am happy for you, screw what everyone might be thinking

NINI: SOPH

NINI: Call me!!!

I tell Alec I have to make an important call and turn to walk to the cabin. Before he even has time to say something, I disappear inside, and press call on Nini's contact. She answers at the first ring.

"There you are." her voice screams through my phone. "Are you okay?"

"I am fine. What happened?" I ask worried.

She sighs surprised: "You haven't seen?"

"No. What should I have seen?" I ask her, my tone even more worried.

"Type your name on the internet." she replies, her voice sad. Without questioning, I do as she says and I have to gasp. It's in every breaking news. Princess Sofia Estair of Cordelia spotted with billionaire Dunn Leisures heir, Alec Dunn. Or: The new Prince Charming? Alec Dunn seen at his private Vermont Lodge together with Her Royal Highness, Princess Sofia of Cordelia. And pictures.Of the two of us. The night I arrived here, and we hugged on the pathway.

"I'm so sorry, Soph." Nini whispers through the phone. "I really am."

As on cue, my phone rings with the private line. However not the one my brother usually uses, but the one my father has.

"I have to go." I whisper between tears, knowing this means we are over. "I have to warn Alec."

Nini says she understands and tells me she's there for me in case I need anything.

I hang up and also press ignore on the call with my Father. I wasn't in the mood to speak with anyone but Alec right now. My wish is however not always held. And Darrel runs down the staircase. He stops in front of me, as if I were exactly the one he was looking for.

"We need to leave." he tells me. "Paparazzi already gathered in front of the house. You're not safe."

"But Alec?" I ask annoyed. Darrel sighs exhausted and probably wants to tell me to forget him. As he sees the look on my face however, he changes his mind:

"You have five minutes."

I nod thankfully and rush back in the backyard, where Alec is meanwhile putting the arms to our snowman. He opens his mouth with a smile on to say something, yet the smile quickly fades as he sees my state.

"What's wrong, Foxy?" he asks me worried. I rush into his arms and kiss him like it were the last time. It might be.

"They know." I whisper as I let go. I don't have to say more for him to understand. Tears roll down his face, knowing what this might mean for us.

"So, what is this?" he asks sad. "Is this a goodbye?"

"It has to be. I can't date you, Alec. I am sorry." I reply. More tears roll down his face and I also start crying. Although he's sad, he pulls me to his chest and kisses my forehead:

"I don't want this to be a goodbye, Foxy. I love you."

"I love you too, Alec." I tell him. And I mean it. With all my heart. "And even if this might be a goodbye, I need you to know I am and will ever only be yours. You hold my heart, Alec. Although we can't be with each other, you're in my every step. Every heart I will ever draw and every time I will speak the word "love", it will be for you."

He bends down and kisses me again, like for the last time.

"You'll always be my Foxy." he says. I sunk my face in his chest and start crying. He wraps his arms around me and kisses the top of my head. "Always."

Before I can say anything else, Darrel comes outside and I can hear him call for me: "Your Royal Highness, we have to go."

I nod and meet Alec's eyes for a last time. I then follow Darrel outside and to the car. He was right. There are paparazzi. A lot of them. All pointing cameras at me and wanting answers. "Your Royal Highness, is it true about you and Mr. Dunn?" "Princess Sofia, why are you in Vermont?" "Can you give us more details about your relationship?" I only nod and as Darrel opens my door, I walk inside, not looking back. Darrel quickly sits down on the driver's sit and we speed away from there. It's only until I'm far away and in safety, that I allow the tears to roll down my face. The pain I feel right now hurts deeper than any wound one can cause me. I'm broken. And the only one who can make me whole again is the one I was forced to run away from.

"I'm sorry, Sofia." Darrel whispers from where he was sitting. I look up, noticing he called me by my first name. For the first time ever. As our eyes meet in the mirror, he repeats what he said: "I really am sorry."

I nod thankfully and continue crying.