Chapter 58

ALEC

Three months and a few days later

I'm going over the notes from the last board meeting as I can hear some voices shouting outside. As per usual, I decide to not give a fuck and focus on my work. I know it's middle of August and I haven't taken any holiday so far (after term ended I invested my entire time in getting the change of leadership at the company go smoothly. Some employees were still used to accepting orders from Rachel and I had to make sure everyone knows I am the one with power now), but I really don't feel like going on a holiday.

Not with Foxy gone.

The voices get louder and I recognize my assistant saying: "Miss, I can't let you walk in there. Mister Dunn is busy."

The people come in front of my office and I can see their silhouettes through the glass windows. Foxy's redhead friend, Nini or Nina or something, is trying to explain something to Dana, my assistant. Nini doesn't look very happy, rather annoyed.

"I've told you, I am the best friend." Nini adds, almost shouting.

"I don't see your name on the list." Dana says, showing the redhead something on the tablet.

"What list?"

"The best friend list. The names of people that are allowed to enter Mister Dunn's office at any time."

"There's one name. Adam's. How is it a list if there's only one name?"

"It's a list."

"Your logic sucks." Nini replies and my mouth twitches in a corner. Foxy's best friend has always had a rather direct approach with words.

"Miss, as long as your name is not on the list..."

"The one-name list...", the redhead interrupts my assistant.

"The list", Dana adds harsh, "I can't let you walk in."

Nini is tired of fighting so she bursts inside my office, not minding Dana's exhausted cries.

I fake being interested in the files and being surprised that she walked in.

"Dunn!" Nini says as she's in front of my desk. It's only now I get a closer look at her. Her hair is messy in a bun and her eyes are red from not sleeping. She's wearing a "Wrencore Drama Club" hoodie and a pair of sweatpants. Her feet are covered by some sneakers. She doesn't look exactly state of the art. No wonder my assistant didn't let her in.

"I'm sorry, Mister Dunn, I couldn't stop her and..." Dana tries to explain, admitting the fact she screwed up.

"You're fired." I interrupt her. Dana gasps with shock. Nini smirks.

"But, Mister Dunn...I really tried to..."

"Out!" I say, my voice too harsh and loud since both women in my office turn towards the exit.

"Not you, Elway." I call after my girlfriend's; sorry, ex's; best friend. The redhead turns around with a smirk on. Dana can't hide her exasperation.

"Are you kidding me?! She can stay?!" My by now ex-assistant asks.

"Told you I'm the best friend." Nini adds, her smirk growing.

"You're not my best friend." I cut her short. Dana gasps again and asks:
"Then why can she stay?!"

"None of your business." I reply cold.

"Fuck you very much." Nini says backing me up, looking straight at Dana.

My ex-assistant stomps her foot and leaves the room.

"That was intense." Nini adds amused the moment the woman is out.