Chapter 4

SOFIA

I go with Nini along the corridors of the university. Although she also has class soon, she insisted on showing me the way to my classroom. On the way, I can feel everyone's stares on me. I am not just the New Girl, but the Princess New Girl. I'm like a walking "Look at me" sign.

Luckily, I am not wearing a gala dress anymore. Or the tiara. I still kept the fancy dress code, but on my own terms. I have an all Chanel look, with the small white blazer and skirt, and a pastel pink top. My feet are covered in knee long white thighs and I am wearing some loafers. I have pearls around my neck, my wrist and hanging from my ears. My lips have lipstick on and my eyes nice highlights. My hair is styled with a white bow. I look fancy. But I love it.

Nini next to me is wearing another of her cozy look, which still makes her look beautiful. She has a colorful knitted rib top with a white skirt and some sneakers. Her hair is up with a clip and she has sunglasses on. On her shoulder hangs a tote bag with the text "Shakespeare Academy" on it.

"Are you sure you'll be fine?" she asks me as we arrived in front of an open classroom. I nod, assuring her I'll be fine.

"Wait, open your phone," she instructs me and I do as told. She types her number inside and saves it to contacts.

"You can now call me if you need anything."

I nod thankfully.

"So, the girls and I usually go to the canteen during lunch break. Will you come?"

"May I?" I ask. 

She rolls her eyes amused: "Soph, you're one of us now. You don't have to ask. If we do something or go out somewhere, you are obviously invited."

I lose it and give her a hug. She hugs me back. The bell rings in the background and we quickly let go.

"I have to go now. Don't want to be late on my first day," I say. 

She looks at me amused and replies: "The princess is never late. Everyone else is just early." After a few seconds she adds: "It's from one of my favorite movies. It's called..."

"The Princess Diaries," I finish for her. I obviously know the movie. It's also one of my favorites.

Nini gasps shocked. She must haven't expected I actually know normal movies. Probably she thought I only know old documentaries about royal families and teatime. I do know those, was forced to watch them sometimes, but I also know other movies. Like romcoms. Or classics. I love classics. Pride and Prejudice is my favorite movie on Earth.

I then however have an idea: "If you want, we can watch it together sometime."

Nini's jaw drops. "Watching the Princess Diaries with an actual princess?! Sure."

She smiles and we can see the teacher coming on the corridor. Nini waves at me and then rushes towards her classroom. I walk inside, where I can hear gasps and see people taking out cameras. The light. The flash. The click sound when taking a photo.

It's too much. Please, stop it! Stop it!

I force myself not to freeze and walk over to a free sit in the front row. The girl next to me sneaks a peek at me, greets me with a small curtsy, then as I try to say something, she turns around to her friends. Great.

The teacher enters the classroom. Everyone stands up and greets her. She's a woman, probably in her forties, wearing a power suit and black high heels. As she sees me, she reveals a big smile and makes me a sign to come to the front. Then, with the other hand, she threatens everyone to put their phones away. The students obey.

I walk over to her and she shakes my hand. "Miss Estair, my name is Daniella Delacroix. I'll be your Economics professor," she presents herself. I'm glad she didn't start with "Your Royal Highness".

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Miss Delacroix," I say. She smiles and shows me towards my place so that I can sit down.

Her class goes by fast. Miss Delacroix has a way of speaking that keeps you interested. Every student takes part at the class. They say their opinion. Ask questions. It's obvious they like the teacher.

The break after class is everything but. I am on my way to the history room, as a girl comes from behind. She has blonde hair, braided, and is followed by two other girls. They are all wearing short dresses, that probably are there to make them to look cool. However, the bold flashy makeup isn't giving them my respect, but the opposite. Nevertheless, I am a princess, and princesses aren't supposed to be rude. So, I greet them nicely. The blonde in the middle bends over to me and kisses both my cheeks. Red marks remain there. I feel the urge to run to the bathroom and wipe them out.

"Hey. I'm Tessa. Tessa Long. You might know me from Instagram."

I did. She has more followers than more of the people here combined.

I have more followers, though.

"I do. Tessa, it's a pleasure to meet you."

"Pleasure is all mine," she says and kisses my cheek again.

Stop. Please, stop.

"Are you also an International Relations major?" I ask. She nods.

"Yep. Daddy wants me to take over the company when I'm done. Until then, I have to be here."

Right. Daddy's money. Makes sense.

"And, you don't like it here?"

"No. It's boring. No one understands fashion," she takes a break before she continues: "No one but you. I love your look."

I nod politely. "Thank you. Yours is nice too."

"The loafers are a bit vintage though. Not cool," she says making fun of me.

No one speaks bad about my loafers and gets away with it.

"You know what my loafers have, Tessa?" I ask. She looks at me intrigued. I continue: "Class. Something your mini dress and lack of bra will never have."

She gasps. From behind, I can hear a chuckle. I know it's Darrel, who has been in my shadow all day long so far. As I turn to look at him, he gives me a proud look.

"Now, if you'd excuse me, I have a class I have to attend to," I say and walk my way out of there. Obviously with my head up. I'm princess for heaven's sake. I'm not going to break in pieces because of a mean comment from a fake girl.

Before I enter, I can hear Darrel whisper: "You did good, Your Royal Highness."

I smile and open the doors.