Chapter 6

ALEC

She's in my bed yet blurry. All I can distinguish are her nice curves. My eyes are still a bit swollen from the morning. I went outside to smoke a bit while she took some rest from the night. All I can say is that it has been wild. However, that's all it is going to be. I'm not going to date her or something. She hopes it though. Yet deep down, she knows I'm not going to do that. I'm Alec Dunn. I don't date.

"I have to go," I say, looking at the time. I normally don't care being late but I promised Adam I'll come meet him. He's the one person I keep my promises to. The one person I give a shit about.

"Aren't you going to stay a bit? We could talk. Or go back to bed again," the brunette suggests. As tempting as that sounds, I have to refuse.

"No," I tell her, with my voice frozen. People tend to freeze when I speak. It might be my tone. Or the death stares I give them. Either what, I thank the universe daily it gave me that gift so that I don't have to talk to people or try to be polite. I'm way past polite. If people don't like me, it's their problem.

I put on the first shirt I find and leave some buttons untied. I'm already in my ripped jeans, so I just have to put my sneakers on. The second the brunette tries to protest again, I'm out of the door and hurry downstairs. Adam is already in front of the building, waiting for me in his precious sports car. His ginger hair is perfectly styled, as always, and he's wearing a clean tux.

"You're late," he hisses through his teeth as I open the door and throw myself on the passenger's seat.

I don't respond, just smirk. Many don't understand why Adam and I are friends. We're the complete opposites of each other. While he's nice, organized, clean; I'm everything but. However, our friendship still works. And he's my best man.

"Who was she?" he asks, not even having to give me more detail so that I understand what he means. 

I answer honest: "I don't know."

"Dude, you might want to start writing down their names. In case one of them turns out pregnant."

"Relax," I tell him, although he doesn't relax. I decide to change the subject.

"So, what's new at Wrencore?" I ask. He snorts.

"Oh, yeah. I forgot. Because someone decided to skip class to go to...where were you again?"

"Costa del Sol," I answer, thinking back at the last few days I spent with my motorbike driving along the coast. That's what I call living. "I even sent you pictures you, asshole," I add, remembering the fact I did send him pictures. And he didn't answer.

"Oh, I'm sorry. I was busy covering for you at college. By the way, you had the flu until now. Highly contagious," he responds. 

I smirk at him again. "I'm glad you took the risk and came to pick me up. Do you want me to give you a mask or something? So that you don't get the flu as well."

"Asshole... ," he hisses again through his teeth. I laugh.

Silence sets between us for a while. Then he says: "Something did happen. Wrencore has a new student."

"And why the heck should I care?" I ask. I don't give a shit about who studies at Wrencore. I genuinely try to get out of there, not make friends.

"This one's interesting. A princess," Adam explains. 

I freeze a bit. Then comment: "Wrencore went royal. Did the board finally realize how boring they got?"

"Hahaha. So funny," he says sarcastically. "I swear, I'm never telling you anything again."

I roll my eyes amused and add in a teasing tone: "Oh, I am sorry." After a while, I ask again: "And, have you met her?"

"Not yet. But everyone is talking about her."

"I bet. I only wonder what the hell she was thinking to come here. This place sucks."

We meanwhile arrived at campus and Adam is parking the car as he throws me an annoyed glance. "Look who's talking. Don't you think this should come from someone who actually spends time here?"

I laugh dry and take out a small cigarette from my pocket. "Jealous much? You could have just asked, I would have taken you to Costa del Sol with me."

He smirks: "As if I would voluntarily skip school to spend time with you."

I smirk back at him: "You missed me, you idiot. Why can't you just admit it?"

"To you? Never. Plus, it might be all blurry. From the smoke," he says, pointing at my cigarette. I take a puff and let out the smoke in his face. He hates it. And hates the fact I smoke. Yet, I still do it. It's my only getaway.

"Meet you later, asshole?" I ask. 

He nods both annoyed and amused: "Later."

He then leaves and it takes me a great effort to force myself to go to class. On my way, I know I'm being looked at. They all want me. But they can't have me.

Sitting down, I imagine I'm still somewhere else. I take a puff. It will get me through for a few hours. The rest, I have to take some more to get through. I have three years left of this shit. I hope I'll make it out alive one day.