Chapter 27

SOFIA

I just love Cordelian Christmases. They are for sure one of my favorite traditions in our country. The celebration starts with a big family dinner on Christmas Eve. During this dinner, we have to say the reasons we're grateful for. Every person at the table takes a turn. This is one of the only occasions my whole family comes together. Mother, Father, Gillian, Karl and I. All in one room, at the same time. My parents can't kill themselves or argue because it's Christmas and we're basically forced to be nice to each other. I love it.

I am sitting at the named table right now. With the many dishes cooked by our chef, it's almost time to start the Grateful Round. Father, who's in his fancy king outfit, goes first.

"First of all, I am grateful for this family. I am grateful for the kingdom we have and for our people. I am grateful to have found this amazing woman. I am grateful for my two kids." He begins. He then looks at me happy: "And I am grateful to finally have my girl back home."

I throw him a thankful look and whisper: "I love you, Father." He smiles in return.

Gillian is the next one, who as usual gives one of those big speeches about how grateful she is for finding Father: "I am grateful for finding the love of my life, Michael. I am also grateful for being able to sit here at this table tonight, with all of you. I am grateful for finding a man who loves me as much as Michael does and is always there for me. I love you, honey."

I hide the urge to bang my head against the closest wall and share a look with Karl, who based on his face expression right now felt the same.

After Father and Gillian kissed a bit, it is Mother's turn: "I am grateful for my people and our kingdom. But most of all, I am grateful for my two kids, that I love more than anything in this whole world. Karl, Sofia, you are my treasures and I can't put in words what you mean to me."

Karl and I stand up and go hug Mother. We then do something we usually did as kids, in which we both kiss her at the same time, each on one cheek. Mother blushes and kisses us back on our foreheads, just like in old times.

After we sit down again, it's Karl who has to go next: "I am grateful for this family. I am grateful to be able to call you my Mother and you my Father. I am grateful to have you, Fia, as my sister." Realizing he's leaving Gillian out, he adds: "And I am grateful to know you, Gillian." I have to hide a chuckle, seeing how forced Karl looked saying that. After he recovers, his face expression goes back to an honest one and he goes on: "I am also grateful for this kingdom and the chance I got to be a part of this community."

We all clap our hands when he finished, since his speech was so heart-warming, it almost made me tear up. He nods thankfully and turns to me: "Fia, it's your turn."

I nod and begin: "I am grateful for these people. I am grateful for every one of you. I am grateful to call you my family. I am grateful to be able to spend time with you and I am very grateful that I get to love you. I am also grateful for Cordelia. I love this country and the people living in it. I am grateful I get to represent them every day." I take a break before I continue: "I am grateful for my friends at Wrencore. I don't think I could have ever made it without those girls." The next part I don't even say it out loud, yet I think it: And I am grateful for the love of my life, Alec. The guy who makes me the happiest.

Everyone claps me as well and Karl comes give me a hug. He then bends to my ear and whispers: "You did good, Fia."

I kiss his cheek and replies: "So did you, brother."

As he sits down again, Father smiles at us and says: "What more can a man possible want, than a beautiful Christmas with the most amazing people." We chuckle and he continues: "But what are we waiting for? Let's start eating."