Chapter 59

SOFIA

My Father leads me down the aisle and I can feel the heat growing in me. As I see Victor at the end, waiting for me with tears in his eyes, I don't feel like walking all the way but stopping and running in the other direction. One that would lead me to Alec.

Father notices and gives my hand a squeeze. "It will be alright", he whispers in my ear, so that nobody hears. Given my status, the wedding is being live shown on television and the benches in the back of the church are filled with people of the press, who have their cameras fixed on me.

I only take a big breath and continue walking.

As we arrive next to my fiancée, Father kisses my hand and my cheek and after whispering: "You'll always be my baby girl, Sofia", he goes sit down next to Mother and Karl in the front row. Before the priest begins with the ceremony, I sneak a glance at my best friends, who are all standing next to me as my bridesmaids. Dia and Nessie have tears in their eyes, April looks at me smiling and Nini is more nervous than I've ever seen her. As our eyes meet, she smiles at me and gives me a thumbs up hidden by my bouquet she was holding. I smile in return and turn to my fiancée.

Victor takes my hand and whispers in my ear: "You are the most beautiful bride anyone could ever wish for."
I nod, not wanting to tell him how much my heart pains right now.

The priest announces the beginning of the wedding ceremony by saying: "Ladies and gentlemen, we gathered here today to witness the wedding of two beautiful souls. Her Royal Highness Princess Sofia Estair of Cordelia, Duchess of Dufoix and His Grace Victor Cambell of Montcoeur."

The guests sit down, and the priest continues telling us about the hardships of married life, but also about the many beautiful moments that will tighten our bond and will show us the true meaning of life. I zone out, knowing how much I would want to listen to the same speech, but with another person in front of me. One, that after today, I lost forever.

"Mister Cambell, you can say your vow." The priest announces Victor, who quickly sneaks a peek at his cards.

"Dear Sofia, I can't put in words how happy I am to be able to call you my bride. You are the one my heart beats for and the one I can't wait to start a life together with. I will be here for you through good or bad, day or night, clear or troubled waters. I love you, Sofia."

The crowd does an "oh" and start whispering about how sweet my fiancée is.

But you haven't seen my man.

I push that thought aside and try to stay focused again.

"Thank you, Your Grace." The priest answers to Victor's speech, then turns to me. "Miss Estair, would you please say your vow."
I swallow hard and prepare myself to lie. "Victor, the day I first saw you, I knew that we would be more than just acquaintances. You made me smile in a way no one made me smile before. I am glad and thankful you chose me as your bride."

I couldn't bear saying the words "I love you". Even lying has its boundaries.

If anyone noticed the lack of those three words, they did the right decision and kept their mouth shut.

"Now, before we let the future newlyweds enjoy the pleasure of saying I do, should anyone present know any reason for the couple not to be married, I would ask them to speak now or forever hold your peace." The priest asks around the room. No one has any objection. For a second, I even hoped someone would protest. That thought faded away as soon as I realized I must be cruel not to want to marry my fiancée.

I don't want to marry my fiancée.

As I was questioning my life choices once more, a voice can be heard telling the audience: "I have something to say."

and we fellजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें