Chapter 13: Kikyo, Konoha, and the Dangerous Encounter

Meanwhile, at the same time...

Kikyo and Bankotsu arrived at a fork in the road. One led to a nearby village while the other would lead to an even longer road.

"Which one should we choose?" Kikyo asked.

"Well, if we go down this way, we won't know if we'll find a village. But if we go down the other, we'll be able to stop and rest for a while." Bankotsu pointed out.

"Let's go to the nearby village. Sound good?" Jakotsu suggested.

"Of course," Bankotsu answered, smiling at his best friend before heading to the village. Another thing they didn't know was what happens next.

"Halt! Who dares trespassing on our territory!" A voice shouted from the direction of the briar bushes as the Band of Seven and the Priestess heard it. All of a sudden, they were surrounded by the white foxes with those strange three or two tails. Kikyo didn't know why the white foxes have those silly tails. Each one with narrow eyes and sharp claws. There was the voice that came from the man as Kikyo and the seven men noticed he wasn't a human but a full-fledged demon fox.

"Who are you and what are you all doing here? This is Northern Land's territory!" The male white full-fledged demon fox shouted at them. He didn't scare Kikyo that easily.

When Bankotu was about to pull out his sword, Kikyo stopped him before speaking to them.

"My name is Kikyo and these are the Band of Seven, we came here for a place to stay," Kikyo responded.

"Why should we? You eight don't belong here!" He said in anger.

"Kouichi, enough!" A female voice shouted from behind his back. "These guys need a place to stay. Surely they're exhausted from their long journey."

Kouichi, Kikyo had learned his name, glared at the female full-fledged white demon fox. "They are intruders, Aoi. You're only saying that because they're humans. And you've always been too soft on them."

Aoi ignored him as she approached them with a soft smile. Kouichi didn't like the way she has been friendly towards the humans. "You must be exhausted," she said kindly. "Come, let us take you to Lady Takara's place."

Kikyo nodded in response as they began to follow them.

"By the way, I'm Aoi and this is Kouichi and his apprentice, Sanda," Aoi introduced to them. "What's your name, humans?"

"I'm Kikyo."

"I'm Bankotsu."

"I'm Jakotsu and these are our brothers, Mukotsu, Suikotsu, Kyokotsu, Ginkotsu, and Renkotsu," Jakotsu said.

"It's a pleasure to meet you all," Sanda said, smiling.

"Sanda, we don't talk to humans!" Kouichi shouted at Sanda in anger. Kikyo watched Sanda back away from them with a sad look.

Aoi glared at him. "Kouichi, stop being so rude! They are not intruders. They are our guests. Remember what Lady Takara told us that humans and demons are now living in harmony after five years of Naraku's defeat and the Shikon Jewel gone? So now we are inviting them to our place."

He scowled, rolling his amber eyes as he continued to walk. They wouldn't believe how mean Kouichi was. Kikyo noticed he wasn't going to show his respect. Neither do any kinds of demons. Except for Aoi and Sanda. These two are kind.

***

When they arrived at Northern Land, Kikyo, and the seven men were surrounded by all the white foxes with two, three, or four tails, and all the humans formed into white demon foxes. All the foxes lived in the huts, trees, caves, and rabbit holes. There are so many tree houses around the village. This must be their home. Suddenly, all the foxes gathered around as they stood in line when they transformed themselves into humans. All of them have their true forms of the white demon foxes. Kikyo and Bankotsu looked at each others' gazes before they could face the new face.