C23

We entered the large dining area. His mother and father were there talking. There was a man a little younger than Julius sitting on a bench. They turned to us at the same time and I felt that all their eyes were focused on me. My chest was very nervous, as if her mother's eyes were scrutinizing me from head to toe. It looks straight because its eyebrows are raised while staring at me.

"Who is he, Julius? I thought you were with Shantel? it was a surprising question.

I was surprised by what his mother said. They didn't know that they and Shantel were gone. Wait... is it gone?

"No, Mom! Shantel is not my girlfriend. Didn't you say I should bring my girlfriend here? So I brought my girlfriend here. She is Aira, my fellow classmate in college and now she is already my girlfriend.

"What?! I didn't know Shantel wasn't your girlfriend. Last time we talked, she said you two are happy. So I thought you and Shantel were going to stay together? And I know her family too. An educated girl from a good family. So why not Shantel? Julius' mommy looked at me again so I just went. "Who is she? I don't know her background. Who are her parents?

"Mom, it doesn't matter where he comes from or who his parents are. The important thing is that we care for each other."

"Don't make excuses for love, Julius. In our clan, anyone entering our family must be well-known and have a good background. Not just any girl you like! I didn't make you study abroad just to be a fool in love! His father was angry.

"No dad, Aira is different. He has a good job and his parents have their own company.

I was stunned by what Julius said. I was surprised by its introduction to me. But I couldn't speak because I didn't want to embarrass Julius in front of his parents.

"Really? I want to know about her. Sit down so we can start dinner."

I couldn't do anything but sit, even though I was so tired.

"Julius, I hope that what you are doing here in the Philippines is going well. Because I expect that when you return to the states, you will handle our business there. Does he already know your plans in life?"

I was once again surprised by what I discovered. Julius is leaving? Why didn't I know that he would leave and leave me here in the Philippines again?

I turned to him, but he suddenly grabbed my hand.

"Yes, Dad. I'm going back to the states after our wedding."

Julius almost attacked me? After the wedding? I just answered him, married right away? Besides, I can't leave my mother here, especially since she is my only parent. Julius's decision was a big mistake. He didn't even ask me if I wanted to get married."Excuse me, ma'am and sir. Can I use the bathroom?

"Yes, of course. I will accompany you," Julius answered.

I didn't stop him from joining me because the truth is that I also want to be clear about what Julius is saying about his life plans.

We stopped in the living room and there I confronted Julius.

"What does all that you said to your parents mean?" I asked crying. I think I'm very low. Julius's parents didn't accept me because I came from a poor family.

"Aira, don't be angry. Trust me! I want to make sure that everything will be fine."

"No, Julius. You lied to your parents. I am not the person you are referring to in front of them. I'm not a rich boy!"

"I know, and I'm sorry if I said that. But don't worry because I can fix everything. You will pretend to be rich and when we get married, we will go to another country to live happily."

"No, Julius! We don't talk about what we're going to do. I just replied to you and I don't have marriage in mind yet. And one more thing, I won't leave my mom here."

Is that all? We can take your mom to the states. And I'm ready to wait when you're ready. Do not you love me? Why should we take all this time? I want to marry you, as soon as possible. I want you to be mine, Aira. Why are you hesitating to marry me?

"Because everything you said to your parents was wrong. Your parents don't want me but Shantel. That's what hurts me, Julius. I'm not rich, like you said. That's the truth! Why can't you be proud of me for who I really am? Why did you change my personality? I cried and said to Julius.

I felt like my heart was breaking at that time. I want to go home and never go back to that restaurant.Julius's bathroom is spacious. There is a big mirror like cr in the mall. It is the size of a room. It's different when you're rich. I can't blame Julius' parents if the girl they dream of for their son is like Shantel. I took a deep breath before completely exiting the cr. I was still far away and I could hear the laughter coming from there. So I was relieved that Julius' parents might not be angry anymore. But that was just how surprised I was when I met Shantel at the dining table. Speaking of Shantel. It was sitting where I was sitting earlier that's why I was stunned. Everyone turned to me as well as Shantel who smiled at me like a fool.

"Aira! Are you here? I don't know..." he said, obviously lying. It didn't seem surprised to see me and it seemed like it already knew I was there.

"Sit here in the other chair, Aira." Julius' mommy ordered. It was on the other side of the table next to the man who had been silent and not joining in their conversation. Shantel was next to Julius and did nothing.

"Why are you so quiet, Jomar? Do you and Aira know each other? If I haven't already I will introduce you. Aira, he is Jomar—Julius' brother. Jomar, Aira. Julius' former ex-boyfriend in college."

Everyone was surprised by what Shantel said.

"Ex-boyfriend?!" Julius' mommy asked with raised eyebrows.

"Yes, aunty. She is Julius ex-girlfriend. They broke up because Aira cheated on Julius then. They made Julius a friend.

"Shantel!" said Julius who didn't seem to like her telling stories about their past.

"I'm sorry..." Shantel apologized. But it doesn't seem like the apology comes from within. It seems that he even deliberately said that thing to insult me, especially Julius's parents.

"Why Julius? Don't you want us to know the truth? Why do you have such an issue? Is it true that this girl cheated on you before?" Julius's mom asked in a high voice. I feel like I can't sit there and wait for me to get better.

"Sorry ma'am, sir, I'll go first. I still have some walking to do now." I said goodbye, even though they hadn't responded yet, I stood up and walked out.

"Aira wait!" Julius promised. I ignored it and continued to leave their house. Outside their house, Julius grabbed my hand to stop me.

Aira, I'm sorry... I didn't know that—

"I'm going home, I don't want to stay here any longer at your house because I feel like I'm not really welcome here."

"Ok fine! But I will deliver you.

I didn't refuse him when he delivered to me. I also can't get a ride out because that place is a private subdivision. No tricycles or even taxis pass by.