C36

5 YEARS LATER

It was five years ago when Julius decided that we should return home to the Philippines. There was my joy in seeing Mama again. For five years our only connection was the internet. I was so afraid of Julius that I couldn't tell Mama everything. That's why I'm excited to go home to the Philippines to hug Mama.

"Mommy, I'm hungry..." said the little toddler next to me. I turned to him, and remembered that my son hadn't even eaten his snack yet.

"I'm sorry son, Mommy forgot. What do you want to eat? Would you like an egg sandwich?

It nodded in response.

"Okay son, I will cook eggs first, just wait for Mommy here, okay?"

"Yes, Mommy..." It was a polite response.

I smiled and kissed my son's forehead. And then decided to go to the kitchen to prepare an egg sandwich.

Entering the kitchen, I found the dishes that hadn't been washed yet. I missed it because I did a lot more. The house we lived in was big, but Julius didn't hire a maid, because Julius didn't want me to live as a princess. He always says that I'm good at being a helper so we don't need a maid. I just don't talk anymore because every time I reason, it always hurts me.

I tear up while decorating my son's food. A few moments later, I heard a series of horns outside. I quickly turned off the stove and ran out to open the gate. Julius has arrived from his office. As expected it is not alone. There is a girl with him that he often does.

"Why did it take you so long to open the gate?! What are you doing and how long have you been out?! Julius yelled at me after getting out of the car.

"I was cooking in the kitchen, so I didn't immediately hear your car honking."

"Tell me you're deaf because you're getting old!" it said to me.

"Babe, why are you yelling at your maid? Have mercy on him." The woman who was with him came down and was obviously being nice again in front of Julius.

"Tsk! This girl really ruins the day! You're already in the kitchen and I'm worried about your appearance! Lotion! it told me emphatically. After that, the woman who was with him came over who when he was first introduced to me was his secretary but later turned out to be his girlfriend. They entered the house. I know what they will do, lock themselves in the room again and only call when needed.

Yes. Julius married me to tie me to him. After he found out I was pregnant he got bored of me easily. I was careless with myself so I looked like lotion. I was so happy about that that he lost his appetite for me. I always wished that he would let me go so that I could go back to the Philippines but he emphatically says that he cannot allow me to be happy because I will regret it for the rest of my life. That's why I just accepted this life. It's good that I become a lotion in his eyes and at least nothing happens to Julius and me again.I went back to the kitchen and continued cooking Jordan's snack. My five-year-old son is the one who makes me happy and the one I hold so I stay strong in life. So whatever Julius tortures me, I endure for my son. He is my only strength in life. After a while someone suddenly spoke behind me.

"Bring us some wine to the room, please hurry because I don't want to be kept waiting." Christine ordered me straight. She was the girl who was with Julius earlier.

"Okay, I'm just preparing this snack for my son."

"What?! Are you deaf? Didn't you hear what I said to hurry up?!

I sighed to let go of my irritation with this girl. I know that his behavior is like that when Julius is not in front of him. Pretending to be nice in front of you is just a joke. I don't brag about my position in that house because I don't want to be the devil's wife either. But the faces of the kabets are just too thick now.

If you're in a hurry, why don't you just prepare and drink the whole thing yourself?!

Words I wanted to say but I had to hold back. I don't want Julius to get angry because he will surely raise his hand to me again. Every time I make a mistake, he hurts me. With the amount of mistreatment I suffered from Julius, it was as if my body had become numb. I no longer hope that someone will help me here in another country because the only person I expected to save me gave up and didn't even look for me to prove his love for me. I also heard from Mama that he has a new girlfriend and they are getting married soon. I was stabbed in the heart when I found out but I didn't want to be selfish. It's my fault why he looked for someone else because I was the first one to push him away.

I brought the wine and two glasses to Julius's room. The two will definitely drink before having sex. I know what Christine is doing, she wants to get Julius drunk first. Unlike what Shiela is doing, Julius is also a different woman. It doesn't want to drink because it wants to fight right away. I remember, as soon as we got out of the car, Shiela was almost like a snake who was already clinging to Julius. They don't care if someone is in front of them, so what I do is cover my son's eyes and quickly bring him into the room. I don't want my son to see their futility.

I put my wine and two glasses on the side table. Julius wasn't there, he was in the bathroom taking a shower. Christine was the only one on the bed and was laughing as if teasing me. He thought maybe I was going to punish him, and of the two of us, he was the more pitiful. Because he feels that Julius will love him like he thought.

Night came, after I fed and cleaned Jordan's body I put him to sleep. Now I will prepare our things to go home to the Philippines. Julius said that we will go home and it will take a little longer because he said that he will fix the business which I heard is losing money because he left the care of Shantel's father.When I prepared my son's things, I went to sleep. I didn't notice Julius leaving to take Christine. I woke up to the alarm clock that was just on the side of our bed. Yes, Julius and I are no longer separated because since I gave birth to Jordan, I have been sleeping in my son's room.

I cried because I was so happy to see my son. I whispered to myself that I couldn't think about anything else but him. I felt that I was a real mother when my outlook on life changed. That I don't think about anything but my son's welfare. My tiredness disappears when I see him and I am happy when I see that I made him smile simply by being in front of him when he was a baby.

My thoughts were interrupted when the door suddenly opened. And I suddenly woke up when I saw Julius.

"What are you lying about?! Get up and our flight is almost here! It said annoyed. So I quickly got up to pack the things to take.

While we were on the plane and about to land in the Philippines, Julius whispered to me.

"Make sure you don't do anything I don't like, Aira. Remember that I am your wife and no matter what you do, you will never get rid of me! If you ever do something to make me angry, I'll make sure you never see Jordan again." A threat that scared me so much.

"Don't worry, I just want to see Mama. Because I haven't seen and been with him in years."

"Just make sure, Aira. Try telling your Mother that—

"I won't do what you have in mind, because I don't want to lose Jordan, so trust me, Julius." I cut off what he was going to say.

"I don't trust you, so don't mention such things because I will never trust you again!" It told me strongly. Even so, I didn't pay attention to what it was saying. I won't get anything if I try to escape because I'm sure Julius will see me too. It might keep Jordan away from me so it's better to just do what I really came to the Philippines for. It was to see Mama...

I miss the land of my birth. I almost cried when I set foot again on the ground from which I came. It was a good feeling and I was excited to go to Mama right away, but I couldn't because it was necessary to have approval from Julius first. We stayed at Julius' house in Manila. We didn't see anyone there either.

"You have to send your mom here tomorrow because I want you to clean the whole house first. There has been no one here for a long time and the dust is thick. Make sure it's clean before dark. He said that I was sad. There is still no escape from being a maid because until here in the Philippines I am still a maid. I guess this will be my lifelong job because that's what I realized.

I just nodded in response to Julius. I don't want to contradict him and maybe he hasn't agreed to meet with Mama.