chapter 23

How are you guys doing? Are you doing well? Staying healthy?

................

A rapid pair of knocking on her door brought her out of deep slumber. She sighed tiredly as she lazily dragged herself out of bed.

'This is such a pain!' she thought while opening the door. She can already guess who is standing on the other side of the door.

"Good morning (N/n)-chan!" Souma greeted her with a cheerful and energetic smile causing her to groan in annoyance.

'How can someone be this cheerful at this hour?'

"Come downstairs. My old man is waiting for us," he informed. The (h/c)ette just nodded her head in reply, having absolutely no energy to give a verbal response. She took out her change of clothes while Souma was still waiting for her in the doorway. She just gave him a quizzical look as if to ask, 'What are you still doing here?'

Souma just continued to stand there and smile at her as if has no intentions of leaving. The (h/c)ette deadpanned at him, "Are you going to watch me change?"

Heat instantly rushed over to the redhead's cheeks as he stumbled over his next words. "I-I'll be waiting for you downstairs," he stuttered while dashing out. The (h/c)ette chuckled at her friend's antics as she proceeded to get ready.

..........

"It's quite a crowd in here!' (Y/n) remarked as soon as she entered the kitchen. "Not to mention how fired up !"

"Good morning (Y/n)-chan!" Isshiki greeted her in all his semi-nude glory

'Isn't he a sight for sore eyes!'

Averting her attention from Isshiki, she continued to greet the elders inside the kitchen.

"(Y/n is here too now. That's good," Fumio-san remarked, realizing that the criteria of an odd number of judges can be fulfilled now.

"Now that we have the adequate numbers, shall we start?" Isshiki asked.

"Let's go!" Souma cheered.

"What would you like to eat then?" Joichirou asked the dorm mother.

"I'm getting old now," the older female remarked. "I can't take anything with too much rice in the morning and also (Y/n) looks like she didn't get enough sleep."
The older female pointed towards the dark circles formed under the (h/c)ette's eyes.

Startled by this, (Y/n) quickly whipped out her compact mirror to check on her dark circles.

"Let's me see..." Fumio-san continued, "The topic should be...make us a dish that can bring about a revitalizing morning."
"As long as the ingredients are available in the kitchen, you can use them. The time limit is one hour. Let's begin!"

The two Yukihiras instantly got to work. Joichiro instantly got to cutting up vegetables while Souma pondered over what he should cook.

On the other side of the kitchen, a tired and worn-out-looking Megumi entered the kitchen. The blue-haired female's dark circles were even more prominent than (Y/n)'s.

"Megumi-chan, are you okay?" The (h/c)ette asked while moving towards the said girl in concern. She gently patted her hair while Megumi rested her head on (Y/n)'s shoulders.

"I'm just feeling so *yawn* exhausted," Megumi spoke slowly, "But when I recalled the training camp, I couldn't fall asleep. I was thinking about how fortunate I am for surviving the camp."

"It's okay now, Megumi-chan. You can rest for now," (Y/n) reassured her.
Megumi eyes softened a little, then they slowly skimmed her surroundings and realized that Souma and Joichirou were cooking. She carious glanced at (Y/n) with eyes that were screaming - 'What are they doing?'
On figuring out the question, the (h/c)ette swiftly answered that they were having a shokugeki.

"Shokugeki? But why?"

"You can think this to be a type of...family tradition," the (h/c)ette winked at her while answering her question. 

An hour flew past in a blur and soon enough was ready with his dish. 
"Sorry to keep you waiting," Souma said while placing a plate in front of the dorm mother, Isshiki, and (Y/n). "It's Apple Risotto. Enjoy."

"Sorry, Tadokoro, I didn't know that you were," he apologized and Megumi quickly forgave him.

"Megumi-chan, you can share with me," the (h/c)ette suggested and the blue-haired girl instantly agreed to it.

"Is that seasoned rice?" Isshiki asked while analyzing the dish.

"Look, there are even finely cut apple chunks in it," Megumi pointed out.

"Adding apples to seasoned rice...that's rather unusual," the dorm mother remarked.

"Did you add both apples and lemons to it Souma?" (Y/n) asked, "because it has a sweet and sour aroma to it." The redhead just nodded his head in reply.

"What a splendid aroma it has!" Isshiki remarked. "This smell awakened my sleeping stomach. It has even wiped out my sleepiness."

All three of them experienced pure ecstasy once they tasted it. This dish really set a benchmark for what has yet to come.

Now it was finally time for the elder Yukihira to present his dish.
Everyone eagerly waited for Joichiro to place the dish in front of them.
Megumi and Isshiki can only wonder how delightful it will be to taste Joichiro's dish, especially when they take into consideration last night's dishes.

"It's a great honor to be able to taste the cooking of the former second seat," Isshiki said.

"It's been such a long time since I last ate your cooking!" (Y/n) beamed. "I'm so excited!"

The dorm mother hummed in agreement. "The dishes Joichiro made since he was a student have been recognized by everyone as surprisingly offensive. Just wait and see."

"Please enjoy," Joichiro said while placing four bowls in front of them. "This is Joichiro Special Rich Ramen."

It was no doubt that everyone was quite surprised by Joichiro's choice. After all, Ramen is something that you don't usually consume this early in the morning.

Isshiki was deep in thought when the dorm mother decided to lash out in the former second seat.
Megumi analyzed the texture of the soup, "the soup looks dense, yet, somehow it has a light and mellow smell to it."

"You're right, Megumi," (Y/n) agreed with her. "The broth has a refreshing aroma to it even after being this dense."

"Fumio-san, let's eat it before it gets cold." The (h/c)ette urged everyone to try it and did the same thing herself.

As soon as they took the first bite, all of them knew that they were a goner.