2007

St. Helena, California

The sound of a phone ringing jolts Kaede awake from his evening nap. With a groan, he picks it up. Flipping it open, he answers with a growl, clearly not pleased with the fact that he was woken up at - he checks his watch. 10:40pm.

"What," Kaede grumbles. He hears a laugh from his friend as he props up an arm on the couch to support himself, rubbing his eyes to wake himself up.

"Did I disrupt your beauty sleep?"

"I passed out on the couch waiting for you," he replies bitterly. "Why the hell aren't you home?"

"I had some errands to run with family down in SF, you wanna go out on a night ride? I need to cool off after dealing with all that traffic." Kaede sighs as he gets up from the couch, stretching. Headlights shine through the drapes as he walks over to see Chris waving at him from his car, a beat up blue Subaru Legacy. Kaede gives a slight chuckle and goes through the garage. As soon as he gets in the passenger's seat, Chris backs up and drives down the road, taking a left to enter the mountain pass.

The road was almost always empty, even during the day, since it was an old road. No one took the scenic route at night. After driving for a solid half an hour, the pair sees two pairs of headlights approaching. The two cars zoom past them, as if they were racing.

"What the fuck?" Chris laughs, slowing down for a moment to watch the cars race. They watch the two cars, Kaede suddenly grabbing the seat as he witnesses both of them careening off the road. "HOLY SHIT!" Chris yells, driving off to the side and parking. The two get out of the car, Kaede being the first to run out, crossing the street to look over the edge only to stare at something he'd never seen in his life. His eyes widen in shock, mouth agape as two large mechanical forms, perhaps 16 feet tall, were brawling it out.

The two cars from earlier were completely gone.

"WHAT ARE YOU DOING JUST STANDING THERE?" Chris exclaims, catching up beside Kaede. His eyes snap to the two robots fighting and he gives a little heh before collapsing to the ground, completely unconscious.

"Wha- Dammit, Chris!" Kaede curses, grabbing him from the ground. He attempts to wake him up, glancing at the fight going on below before watching the victor kick the loser to the ground and rip its head off. "Holy SHIT!" he yells. The remaining robot looks at him and drops the decapitated head in surprise.

"OH FRAG!" the robot scowls. "You weren't supposed to see that."

"You're, uh, not gonna kill us for seeing that right?" Kaede asked in a half worried tone.

"What?! No! That's against protocol, we don't kill humans," the robot replies from below, pointing a digit at him.

"Good to know," he replies quietly. The robot walks up the hill and steps onto the road, looking down towards him with his arms crossed.

"Looks like your friend here fainted."

"Yeah, um," Kaede glances at Chris. "Don't mind him." The robot lets out an irritated sigh.

"Well, I'm gonna have to take both of you back to base."

"Why?"

A loud rumble echoes off in the distance.

"Because of that," the robot replies. He then transforms back into the car that sped past the two earlier. Getting a better look at him, Kaede sees that he's a bright red Lamborghini. Of course, he was a goddamn Lamborghini. He's fixed these types of cars before and wonders what kind of engine is in this car.

The driver's door and back door automatically open up. "Throw your friend in the back, you're gonna be up front." Kaede's reluctant for a moment but eventually grabs his friend and pushes him onto the back seat.