- 38 -

San Francisco

Kaede is the first one to head down to San Francisco for Charlie and Bumblebee's wedding. Optimus accompanies them, driving them down as their plus one and to keep an eye on him. Kaede gives Optimus a soft smile as the two stop by their old house up in the mountains. Optimus pulls into the driveway and stops, Kaede opening the door to see Chris' car parked nearby. Kaede saunters up and knocks on the door. Chris goes to open the door and a big grin grows on his face, hugging Kaede.

"Hey, man! Good to see you again, I thought you weren't gonna be here for another hour?" Chris says.

"We managed to get down here faster than I thought," Kaede says. Optimus' holoform stands a bit behind them and gives a small wave to Chris.

"Good to see you again, Optimus," Chris says, nodding towards him. "Man, it's been forever, huh."

"Yeah... Sorry for not visiting more often," Kaede says, looking down. "Kinda hard to get off base when you're a high priority target."

"Yeah, I did see when you were being hunted by the entire global government a couple years ago," Chris says.

"That sucked," Kaede says. "We both died," Kaede says, gesturing to both him and Optimus.

"Oh!" Chris says. "I'm really glad I didn't get roped into this suddenly."

"Yeah, no, it's been a whole mess, especially with Chicago so-"

"I'm glad you didn't get hurt during that," Chris says. Kaede shrugs.

"I was in the hospital for a bit," Kaede says.

"Jesus," Chris says. He lets the two in, Optimus bringing in their luggage. "How are you this tall even as a human?" he asks as Optimus dips his head to clear the door frame.

"The programming just reflects it accordingly," Optimus replies, setting their luggage down.

"I guess his personality is tall," Kaede says as he passes by Chris. "We're able to stay in my old room, right?" Kaede asks.

"Yup," Chris says. "That room hasn't changed since you left."

"You didn't get a new roommate?" Kaede asks.

"Nah, I was able to buy the house with the money Sector Seven gave me to keep quiet about the Autobots," Chris replies.

"Oh, that's why it looks nice and renovated," Kaede says, looking into the kitchen. "Damn, you're a homeowner now, Chris, congrats."

"Thanks," Chris says sarcastically.

"It's a nice property, Optimus said he missed the forest clearing in the back," Kaede grins.

"I did," Optimus says, kissing the top of Kaede's head. Chris makes a face.

"Man, it's weird seeing you two actually together instead of pining now," Chris says.

"Yeah, it just took us dying for each other to confess," Kaede shrugs. "You excited for Charlie's wedding? I gotta head down early tomorrow to do some bridesman stuff," Kaede says.

"Yeah, it's crazy she's getting married finally, last I saw her she looked younger than me," Chris says.

"That's probably because of the sparkbonding," Optimus murmurs, hugging Kaede close.

"Spark-bonding?"

"It's something Cybertronians do to make our connection to one another official, a spark is similar to what humans call a soul. Except ours is physical and tangible. And can be easily extinguished if out of its protective casing, which is why it is the most vulnerable thing a Cybertronian can do with one another, representing their devotion to each other," Optimus explains.