- 39 -

Sector Seven Base

December rolls around. As Haley watches the team from below, she gives a soft sigh, tired and exhausted from negotiations and constant diplomatic talks between her, Clint, Director Mearing and the US government.

"Hey mom," Chip calls out as he rolls into the room. "You sure you're ready for them?" he asks, glancing down at the group.

"They need it. This whole year for all of us has been..." she pinches the bridge of her nose. "Not much else to do on base now that they're on lockdown."

"They're a bit... rowdy," Chip says with an awkward smile.

"Oh, I know," Haley says. She steels herself before pressing the PA button. "Lennox, Noah, Optimus, please report to the meeting room in 5."

Kaede glances up from his work as they hear the speakers go off.

"Think they're in trouble?" Kaede asks, tinkering with a piece of Cybertronian tech. He wears a heavy jacket and blows into their hands every now and then to warm them.

"Probably just another diplomatic meeting," Ratchet sighs.

"Optimus has been going through it this year," Kaede sighs. "I think he'd rather be punching something rather than solving problems with words."

"It's bureaucratic hell, I can't blame him," Ratchet huffs. "He's skilled in it, he's just not. Used to it anymore." He sets down his cloth and tool on the worktable.

"We can't even go on missions anymore," Kaede sighs.

"What do you expect? Chicago has had us restricted to base this whole time with how the public views us," Ratchet replies. Kaede frowns.

"An invitation to celebrate Christmas at your home?" Lennox asks. "I appreciate it, Haley, but Epps and I were planning to head home," he says politely.

"Oh, I figured. I was extending the invitation to Optimus. I was asking Noah due to his connection with Mirage but also if he'd like to go home and spend the holidays with his family," Haley replies. Noah perks up at that.

"I-You'd let Mirage and I drive home for the holiday?" Noah asks. Haley nods. "Isn't that breaking-"

"Let me deal with that," Haley says, raising a hand. "It's been hell for all of us this year, the least I can do is give everyone a break."

"Damn, I'll let my brother know then," Noah says with a grin. "Thanks, Haley."

"And Optimus, you and the Autobots are invited to my home for Christmas," she says, turning to him. Optimus has a look of surprise on his face. Noah nods and heads out.

"Do you have the room for us?" Optimus asks. Haley nods.

"Don't worry about that. My family home's off in Wyoming so we got the room, oh, make sure to pack warm. You guys might be fine with the cold but I know a few of your fellow agents get cold easily." Optimus hums in agreement.

"Kaede has rather been clingy lately, more than usual," Optimus says.

"He's from Hawai'i, he's used to hotter temperatures," Haley sighs. "Neither them or Nathan's been able to fly home for the past few years," she then says. "I can't send them to Hawai'i, can't pull enough strings for that so I hope my home suffices."

"I'm sure they'd appreciate it. I'll talk to the Autobots and see what they feel, I'd expect a few to stay on base in case anything happens," Optimus nods. "Thank you for letting us stay at your place." Haley waves her hand.

"Again, least I can do. You and I are both tired of bureaucratic bullshit and I just want to have a nice Christmas. Chase and I are flying out next week to help prepare for all of you, if you could come on the 24th, that'd be great. But also, don't invite the whole base. I feel like you know who exactly to bring." Optimus smiles.