𝐈𝐕. WARNING SIGNS

FORGOTTEN ORCHIDS   |   CHAPTER FOUR

WOOL WAS RIVENDELL'S MOST VALUABLE export and a commodity that Vulpesterra relied on when it came to surviving the cold climate that the empire was surrounded by. Blankets were a must-have to live through the night, with coats being a close second. And with the children of the empire constantly growing out of their clothes, it made sense for Atticus to set up a trade deal with Rivendell every two weeks, instead of the monthly basis deal that he had with every other empire.

Still, it was jarring when the errand boy showed up at the castle before the sun had even risen, even if he arrived at the same time he always did.

Atticus hid a yawn behind his hand as Eryn placed the two shulker boxes on the mangrove table of the council chambers. The boy was young, definitely too young to be up this early, but he was strong enough to carry multiple shulker boxes on his person without being weighed down.

Atticus was 90% sure he was some sort of End-hybrid, but he wouldn't be the one to ask. Jane could satisfy that curiosity for herself.

"Scott of Rivendell added more cyan wool per your last request," Eryn said, brushing his hands over his pants as if to clean them of dirt. "He's hoping you remembered that he needs dark oak."

Atticus nodded, sliding the shulker of wood across the table. "Yep. This box is 75% dark oak, and the rest is a mix of the other woods Scott usually builds with." Eryn nodded with a smile, shrugging off his backpack to put away the shulker for travel. "Speaking of, how is Scott? It's been a few weeks since I've heard from him. I wasn't even sure he received my last request."

"He's doing well," Eryn assured. "He's just been overseeing the building of a statue for Aeor, and it's taken much longer than any of us expected."

"One of the stag gods, yes?" Atticus remembered, nodding to himself. "Your empire's guardian."

Eryn gave Atticus an appraising look, nodding once. "Yeah. I'm surprised you know our empire's religion when it's different from Vulpesterra's own. You follow the Numenvulpes, right? Scott mentioned that name when teaching me about the other empires."

Atticus shrugged, smiling slightly as he processed that Scott took the time to teach his servants. "I'm not active in the community, but that is the recognized religion of Vulpesterra, yes." This time he didn't manage to hide his yawn, simply holding up a finger to pause as it passed. "Sorry. I don't know how you function this early, Eryn."

Eryn grinned. "Hybrid stuff. I don't sleep."

Atticus smiled, nodding. "Of course, I should have guessed. And to call back to your earlier notice, some of my citizens follow the Rivendell religion, just as others do for Mythland or the other empires. I'm sure if you asked around Rivendell, there will be citizens who follow the Numenvulpes," he explained. Eryn nodded along, managing not to look bored by Atticus' talk.