𝐗𝐕𝐈𝐈. HOW IT BEGAN

FORGOTTEN ORCHIDS   |   CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

WHEN HE FIRST LAID EYES on the Foxling, Jimmy had just begun his empire. It was four years before his present day; the Codfather, at only twenty-two years old, was encouraged by his older sister to create a kingdom of his own in a corner of her kingdom. She gifted the land to him, no strings attached, and Jimmy began to build.

He was aware of the House Blossom truce meetings, being put in charge of the kingdom for the few hours Lizzie left to attend them. But he didn't know the rulers that participated in them, having few friendships with other royalty outside of Lizzie and her then-boyfriend, Prince Joel. He was surprised when Lady Katherine extended an invitation to him mere weeks after the Cod Empire was established as an official kingdom, but was excited to attend all the same.

The Foxling was the first to catch Jimmy's attention.

He held himself so confidently for the youngest ruler at the meeting; Jimmy had heard from a few of his citizens that the Vulpesterrian ruler had been crowned at sixteen, which meant that even if he was the youngest in the room, he had the most experience in running a kingdom. The confidence in himself only amplified the beauty that he radiated, soft features and brown curls sitting perfectly on his head; intelligent eyes that gleamed with annoyance whenever anyone directly spoke to him; a soothing tone of voice despite the sarcasm that bit his words when he spoke. He was everything Jimmy wanted to be—respected, self-assured, and attractive.

The intimidation proved to be too much for Jimmy's first meeting; he stumbled over his words as he introduced himself, earning a few laughs at his expense, the nobles looking down on him for his insecurities. Except for the Foxling—annoyance pinching his expression, but at those that were laughing at Jimmy, not at the Codfather himself. The younger spared Jimmy a wary glance when he saw Jimmy staring at him, but otherwise didn't poke fun at him as fWhip and Sausage began to do.

Lizzie and Joel joined Jimmy outside after the meeting, matching smiles as they walked arm-in-arm. There had once been a point where Jimmy hated Joel for coming into their lives, but now saw the prince as the older brother he never had; truly, he couldn't think of anyone better for his sister. Joel was kind to everyone who deserved it, and for some reason, he'd decided that Jimmy was on that list.

Lizzie squealed, pulling Jimmy into a hug. "Congratulations, little brother," she said, beaming up at him. "I have to speak with fWhip about our alliance, but I'll find you before I go. Wait for me!"

Jimmy forced a smile, nodding to her. "Thank you. I'll wait until we say goodbye," he promised, his stomach turning at the thought of Lizzie allying with a ruler that had made fun of him. He kept quiet, though, watching her run off to find the Grimlands' king.

Joel eyed Jimmy for a moment. "Need someone to talk to?" he offered. "You look upset."

Jimmy sighed, wringing his hands together. "You saw me in there, Joel. I stumbled over my words and made a complete fool of myself! They'll never take me seriously as a king after that." He thought back to the table of people that had laughed at him, all but one. "Except the Foxling. He was quiet. Didn't laugh at me for embarrassing myself."