𝐗𝐋. INDECISION

FORGOTTEN ORCHIDS   |   CHAPTER FORTY

STILL REELING FROM XORNOTH'S ATTACK, House Blossom had called an emergency meeting.

Fires were still being put out; despite the attack having been more than a week ago, Lady Katherine's guards were still finding flaming vegetation and flowers, thick vines hiding the flames until it was too late and they burned brighter. Atticus silently hoped no one had been hurt in the attack, but he knew he shouldn't hold his breath.

He took his usual seat at the table. Around him, the rulers that had already arrived spoke quietly with each other; Shubble, Queen Lizzie and King Joel, Lady Katherine, King Sausage, the Codfather, and Count fWhip were all accounted for, which meant they were still waiting for the Wizard Gem, Pearl, Emperor Joey, the Copper King, and Scott of Rivendell.

Lady Katherine looked murderous, pacing the front of the room behind her chair and muttering about corruption and flowers. Atticus shifted in his seat uncomfortably; her mood was affecting the entire room, the plants themselves beginning to wilt from her anger, but that wasn't the only thing causing him discomfort. Sitting next to Sausage was just as awful now as it had been last time.

Across from him, Jimmy sat quietly. He'd given Atticus that familiar smile when Atticus had first come in, but had eventually gone back to fidgeting with his Rubix cube; he, too, felt the tension in the room. He was still wearing the necklace even a week later, Atticus noted, the metal shining the same as the day Atticus had gifted it to him.

The missing rulers trickled in, their arrivals spread out over the next few minutes. Emperor Joey was the latest, sinking into his chair when Lady Katherine shot a glare his way. If he wasn't positive she was human, Atticus might have assumed she was half-Wither from the look in her eyes.

"Nice for everyone to join us," she muttered. She pulled herself up straight, laying her hands flat on the table. "House Blossom was attacked last week. Before that, Vulpesterra. Now I hear the Undergrove has suffered the same attacks." Katherine pinched the bridge of her nose; Atticus cast a glance at Shubble and finally noticed how tired she looked. "It's clear what's happening, yes?"

"He's attacking my alliances," Scott spoke up, exhaustion evident in his voice. "Or anyone who makes themselves friendly with me."

"He said that I had allied myself with you," Atticus spoke up. "Of the kingdom attacks, Vulpesterra was the only one not in an alliance with Rivendell. But he knows that we're friends." Atticus tapped his fingers against the table, letting out a heavy sigh. "He knew my name."

Jimmy sat up straight in his chair, eyes wide. "What?" he demanded.

Atticus winced. "He called me by my name, not my title. Only one other person here knows my name. Either Xornoth is all-knowing, or he waits in the shadows and listens to our conversations."