𝐗𝐈𝐈. TO BE A KING

FORGOTTEN ORCHIDS     |     CHAPTER TWELVE

THE SAME MYTHLAND ERRAND BOY was let into Atticus' room when the king realized who he was, recognizing the split-dyed hair and the messenger bag clutched in the boy's hands. Atticus sighed when the boy placed a letter on his desk, regarding Sausage's handwriting with a grimace. This time, he took the letter, setting it on his desk for later, and pushed a sack of gold coins into the boy's hands.

"There's food and water available if you'd like them," Atticus said. The boy considered him for a moment through squinted eyes before he nodded.

"Thanks. I can't have water, but the food will be nice." Atticus nodded, trying not to wince. He should have guessed the boy was a hybrid. "You know you don't have to pay me, right? I'm just doing my job. I get paid for that already."

Atticus smiled at him. "It's not an issue for me." He held out his hand, leaning over the desk. "What's your name? I guess we'll be seeing a lot of each other if your king continues to write to me."

The boy shook his hand; the tips of his fingers were black as if charred, but his skin felt normal. Atticus chalked it up to the hybrid side of the boy. "I go by Ran." He pulled himself back, gripping the strap of his messenger bag once again. "I'm trying to make enough money to get out of Mythland. My friends live far away, in a place where it actually snows! I just have to get there and meet up with them!" Ran smiled at the mention of his friends.

Atticus smiled back, making a split-second decision to give him more coins. "Take them. I hope you get to see your friends soon."

Ran grinned, teeth sharp. "You already paid me a lot more than King Sausage does. But thanks."

Atticus raised his eyebrows. "King Sausage? He's going by a different title?"

Ran nodded. "Yeah. He says to call him king now. It's weird, but I'm not going to put my job at risk." He held up the bag of coins, now heavier than it had been. "Thank you, Foxling. This will help me out a lot!"

Atticus couldn't help but smile at the enthusiasm. "It's a nice goal, Ran." The boy nodded once before he took his leave, stuffing the coin pouch into his bag. Atticus sighed as he thought over the comment about being paid, wondering. It wouldn't hurt to raise his staff's wages, despite their assurances that they're already paid fairly well. There was no guarantee they really felt that way, though, if it was the king who was asking.

Atticus' attention fell onto the letter from 'King' Sausage. With a scoff, he shoved it into one of his desk's drawers, not in the mood to read another alliance offer from the man. It was difficult enough to listen to the proposals in person—if he had to read it in another letter, he was going to do something that would start a war with Mythland.