𝐗. GARDEN TALK

FORGOTTEN ORCHIDS     |     CHAPTER TEN

HOUSE BLOSSOM BROUGHT NEWS OF corruption before Atticus could even call the conference to begin, his council chatting with each other as they waited for him to start the meeting. The errand runner was a girl who couldn't be more than fifteen, straight brown hair falling over her shoulders with a pink rose behind her ear. She wore a necklace with House Blossom's official signature and a nametag with only her initial, H.

Atticus smiled at her. "Lady Katherine has news?" he asked, catching the attention of his council.

The girl nodded quickly. "The corruption has officially spread throughout every empire that attends the House Blossom truce meetings." Atticus nodded, surprised the case hadn't been true before now. He wondered which empire had been hit last. He supposed it didn't matter.

"Thank you for the information. Is that all from Lady Katherine?"

H nodded. "Yes, Mr. Foxling." Lady Angelica stifled a giggle at the title. "Lady Katherine says to be on the lookout for spreading vines and encourages peace during these uncertain times." It was obvious that she was reciting something she'd read in a script, but Atticus smiled anyway, hoping to reassure her that he wasn't offended by her use of Mr. Foxling. It was an interesting title.

"Give your Lady my thanks for the information. Can I offer you some food or water before you leave to continue your journey?"

H looked surprised, blinking at him before shaking her head. "No, thank you. I have what I need."

Atticus nodded and had her escorted out of the castle by the same guard who had brought her in, knowing how confusing the castle could be to navigate unless you knew it like the back of your hand. "Have a good day, Miss," he dismissed. H nodded and followed the guard out of the room.

"It was kind of you to offer her supplies," Lady Angelica noted.

Atticus shrugged. "I spoke with the Vulpesterrian errand runners about how we can improve their jobs. A lot of them suggested that they were content because we give them food and water, even for simple runs into the city, so I've decided to start offering the same to runners that aren't from here, just in case we can help them." He paused, glancing at the older members of his council, the ones who were more traditional. "It won't put a dent in our economy or supplies. I checked."

Lady Olivia smiled. "It will build a good rapport with the other empires, even if you aren't looking for an alliance. I speak for all of us when I say that it's a good strategy."

Despite wanting to correct her—it wasn't a strategy to take care of people—Atticus couldn't help but feel pride over their approval. It had always been difficult to impress the older members of his council, and even the younger ones had begun to push boundaries that had been set in place since Atticus became king. For them not to protest this change, he would see it as a win.