𝐗𝐗𝐈. THE ALLIANCE

FORGOTTEN ORCHIDS   |   CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE

EVEN ATTICUS WAS STUNNED BY his proposal, and he was the one who'd had the idea in the first place.

It didn't feel real until he'd said the words out loud and felt every pair of eyes on him, burning imaginary holes into his skin with their stares. The written mixture of shock and anger was not hard to miss—he could feel the glares coming from Sausage and his alliances and the disbelief from everyone else.

None of it matched the Codfather's expression; the poor man looked like he was going to pass out at any moment, staring at Atticus like he didn't believe the younger man was real. Atticus wasn't sure if he was real, either; everything felt strange, the silence deafening to him. He swore he could hear his own breathing, if he was breathing at all—he wasn't sure he had since offering the Codfather an alliance.

After a moment, the Codfather sat up straight, blinking rapidly, and nodded sharply. "I accept," he choked out. Atticus was sure that he had just pinched himself to make sure this wasn't a dream; that didn't sound like such a bad idea, given how Atticus felt like he was watching everything happen from outside his body.

It took Atticus a moment to realize that the Codfather had accepted the offer. Which meant that, unofficial until it was on a signed paper, Vulpesterra and the Cod Empire had just entered an alliance. Vulpesterra's first alliance since the queen had died; the Cod Empire's first alliance since its establishment, as Rivendell, the Ocean Empire, and Mezalea had signed onto one the moment the Codfather had declared himself a ruler.

Atticus finally snapped back into the moment, realizing with muted horror what he had just done. But despite breaking his biggest rule, the terror was fleeting; the Codfather's smile chased it away, the man beaming so brightly that Atticus was almost sure he was dreaming. That, or the Codfather needed to be happy like this more often.

"WHAT?!" Sausage demanded, which was enough for everyone to begin speaking up at once. "How could you ally yourself with him?"

Atticus barely heard him over fWhip's, "You do realize the Cod Empire is the weakest empire at this table, correct?"

And even that was barely noticeable from King Joey's, "How long do you think the Codfather was on his knees for to convince the Foxling?" directed toward Scott

Atticus narrowed his eyes in Joey's direction, but Scott was quick to reprimand the man for his crude humor, arguing with him over the sound of everyone else asking Atticus and the Codfather questions about the alliance; Atticus was starting to get a headache, pressure building behind his eyes.

He glanced at the Codfather, who had sunk down in his seat in embarrassment, likely when Joey had poked fun at him. Atticus clenched his jaw, grinding his teeth together for only a moment before he stood, grabbing the papers in front of him in a hurry to leave. It was much too loud now, and it was clear the meeting was over.