𝐗𝐋𝐈𝐈. TRUTH

FORGOTTEN ORCHIDS   |   CHAPTER FORTY-TWO

JIMMY FACEPLANTED INTO SCOTT'S COUCH, letting out a groan of disapproval when he reached the harsh fabric. Seriously, Scott needed to invest in more comfortable couches; Jimmy was getting tired of brooding on the world's most uncomfortable sofa. Scott literally specialized in comfortable materials!

"Still not over it?" Joel asked from the other couch.

Jimmy raised his head just enough to glare at him. His brother-in-law was stretched out as though he owned the place, boredly staring up at the ceiling as they waited for Scott to return with tea. The reminder that their friend would need a place to sit forced Jimmy to sit normally, though he crossed his arms to continue grumping.

"He's going to be married off to a stranger!" Jimmy fumed. "Why would I be over it?"

"You know, if Lizzie forced you to marry someone, I'd be over it in a week," Joel said. Jimmy knew he was trying to lighten the mood, but he didn't appreciate it. They both knew Lizzie would never force Jimmy into a loveless marriage. If she'd tried, Joel would never be okay with it.

He kept his eyes narrowed at Joel as Scott set the tray of tea on the table. The elf forced Joel's legs off the couch and sat down where they had been, meaning Jimmy hadn't needed to make room for him. He felt it would be too childish to lay back down, though, so he stayed sitting.

"It hasn't been a week," Scott pointed out. "Besides, you're not in love with Jimmy."

Jimmy groaned, throwing his head back. "This isn't about me! He's clearly bothered by the idea of being married in a year. To a stranger, no less!"

"It doesn't have to be a stranger," Joel reminded him. "He never said that."

"There's a lot of things he hasn't said," Scott agreed. "Honestly, Jim, just talk to him."

Jimmy ran a hand through his hair; neither of them understood. Joel didn't have to worry about rejection from Lizzie when he was courting her because of how obvious she had made her feelings; Scott didn't care about rejection at all and had more than enough partners to get over one if he did. But if Jimmy faced that rejection from Atticus, he wasn't sure he'd be able to come back from it.

"If it makes you feel any better," Joel said, in a tone that did not make Jimmy feel better, "he didn't look too upset about having to get married."

Jimmy jumped to his feet. Joel leaned back as if expecting Jimmy to slap him, but Jimmy began pacing the room instead, moving through the small section between the couch and the coffee table.

"He wouldn't even look at me after he announced it," Jimmy muttered. His hand came up to grip the pendant resting against his chest, the gift from Atticus that he hadn't taken off since he'd received it. How long had Atticus known he would be getting married, and how long had he kept it from Jimmy?