𝐗𝐋𝐈. HISTORY BOOKS

FORGOTTEN ORCHIDS   |   CHAPTER FORTY-ONE

IT WASN'T A SURPRISE THAT Scott contacted him, requesting to meet in the castle's private library, only a day after Atticus' announcement that he would be married within a year. Honestly, Atticus was kind of surprised Scott hadn't just shown up that same day to demand answers that Atticus didn't have. It might have been less humiliating than having to wait for the Rivendell king to arrive like a child waiting for a parent to pick them up from school.

Atticus was settled near the fireplace, book in hand when Scott walked into the library, but his eyes skimmed over the words and took nothing in. He was sure he had read the book before, too, and it hadn't been one he'd liked. But it was easier to pretend to be busy instead of looking like he'd been waiting.

Scott sat on the couch across from him and cleared his throat. Atticus tried not to grimace as he lowered the book and looked at his friend.

His friend. Scott was probably concerned about him, Atticus rationalized. He had no reason to be afraid of what Scott would say.

"I was supposed to meet with Gem and Katherine about Xornoth," Scott said, leaning back against the couch, "but this seemed far more important."

Atticus closed the book. "My love life is more important than a demon?" he asked, almost teasing.

Scott grinned, teeth bright white. "Far more," he agreed. His expression shifted, becoming more serious. "You agreed with your Council on this? They didn't go behind your back?"

Atticus shook his head. Scott's concern was nice, but it made him feel like an idiot; if he hadn't agreed to this marriage, then he would still have his dignity. But he had agreed. The Council hadn't decided without his input. He'd said yes. In a year, he would be saying I do.

"My choice," he echoed. Scott looked doubtful but allowed the subject to drop, which Atticus was grateful for. "How are things going with Xornoth?"

Scott waved his hand, dismissing Atticus' concerns. "We're working on it. He hasn't attacked since House Blossom, but that gives me little comfort. We need to be better prepared. I'm helping fortify the other kingdoms, even if they aren't in an alliance with me. We can't leave anyone vulnerable."

"That's what he wants," Atticus agreed.

Scott nodded. His gaze was flicking around the room, taking in the details; the books, the photos on the mantel, the small beginnings of personality that Atticus had added. "And what do you want?" he asked, finally settling his gaze on Atticus once more.

Atticus blinked at him. So much for a change in topic. "What?"

Scott shrugged. "What do you want, Foxling? Who are you willing to marry?" He grinned, sly, and leaned forward. When he wanted to, he could be intense; for the most part, Scott played the part of a human well. You couldn't even tell he wasn't one until you paid closer attention to his features—the sharpness of his ears, the unnatural blue of his eyes. Sometimes, he seemed to glow, and his smile was always elfish, mischief clear in his movements.  "Another ruler, perhaps?"