𝐗𝐗𝐕𝐈𝐈. SHOVEL TALK

FORGOTTEN ORCHIDS   |   CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN

HOW HE FOUND HIMSELF HERE, Atticus could not say—sitting in Scott's kitchen, sipping tea as Rivendell's ruler spoke with him about the ethics of sheep farms.

Well, he did. Scott had sent a letter asking if Atticus was willing to visit Rivendell and 'hang out,' as the commoners would say. And after much thought, Atticus had accepted—and it totally wasn't because the Codfather was busy visiting Queen Lizzie and Atticus had finished up his work for the week. No, he had accepted Scott's gracious invitation because he wanted to hear about sheep farms. Of course.

"Sausage attempted to start a wool farm recently," Scott said dryly. "I took one look at it and shut it down. He was going to keep them in space big enough for them to barely fit in and sheer them without a break." Atticus hummed, nodding; that seemed out of character for Sausage, but Atticus still wasn't surprised. "Something about that man . . . all the sheep were dyed red, I noticed. It was very strange."

"Sausage is a strange man," Atticus agreed. Scott nodded.

A knock on the door caught their attention. Atticus frowned, glancing at Scott, but the other looked just as confused. He offered Atticus a shrug before getting up to open the door.

Atticus recognized the girl, H, as one of Katherine's errand runners. She greeted Scott kindly and smiled at Atticus. "Oh, good, you're both here! That saves me a trip to Vulpesterra," she mused, digging through her backpack. "I have invitations for the upcoming masquerade ball addressed to both of you," she explained.

Scott brightened. "Ooh, I've been waiting for this!" he exclaimed, taking the two letters when they were handed out to him. "Thank you, Hannah."

Ah. H stands for Hannah, Atticus realized, nodding to himself. Hannah bowed before stepping away from the house, likely off to the next kingdom—perhaps the Grimlands, as it was closer than Vulpesterra was.

Scott returned to the table, handing the invitation addressed to the Foxling to Atticus. "I'd nearly forgotten this was happening," Atticus admitted, putting the envelope in his bag to read later. "There's been so much going on, a party doesn't seem like the best idea."

Scott shook his head. "I disagree. With everything happening, a party is perfect. We can take our minds off of Xornoth for the night." Scott's grin was so bright that Atticus couldn't help but smile back, even though he didn't share Scott's enthusiasm. "I plan on wearing a gown." He sighed, rolling his eyes. "I assume I'll be the only male to do so. Joel refuses and the Codfather is too shy to try one on. Sausage might, but I'm not speaking to him right now."

Atticus smiled softly, nodding. "I'm sure you'll look lovely," he said, confident in his words. Scott had a natural beauty that could only be granted to an elf, features pointed and perfect while still looking soft. "I'm not sure what I'll wear, but I'd like to be unrecognizable. It would be nice to enjoy the night and be able to talk to others without being deemed intimidating because of my status."