𝐗𝐈. CHURCH BELLS

FORGOTTEN ORCHIDS   |   CHAPTER ELEVEN

SEEING THE FOXLING AT THE gates hadn't been on Jimmy's to-do list for the day, but he couldn't claim to be upset about it when he involuntarily smiled. Though they had written letters back and forth—little notes about how their empires were reacting to the corruption, nothing more—he hadn't seen the Foxling in exactly fourteen days. Two weeks. Half of a month.

Too long.

The shorter man carried three shulkers of wood, and even though he knew the magical properties of shulker boxes, it didn't stop Jimmy from rushing forward to gather them from the Foxling, as though worried that the boxes were too heavy for him to hold at once.

The Foxling smiled at him. Jimmy nearly stumbled.

"Thanks. It's three this time, as a thank you. No returns accepted." Jimmy huffed, having been about to give him back two of the boxes. "I won't give extra anymore unless agreed, but I had to give you a gift."

"You did not," Jimmy sighed. He shuffled, keeping hold of the boxes. "I'm surprised you're here instead of the errand runners," he admitted. He knew that someone from Vulpesterra was coming today, due to the trading deal, but had expected the usual runners, not the Foxling himself. It was rare for rulers to do their own errands.

"I trust them to deliver and pick up packages. I do not trust them to pick the best flowers, or know how to take care of them before they get back to Vulpesterra," the Foxling explained.

Jimmy smiled, shaking his head. "Can I offer you slime as well as flowers in exchange, or are you hearing no arguments?"

The Foxling's brows furrowed in thought for a few moments before he shook his head. "If I feel that Vulpesterra needs slime, I'll request some, but we're okay for right now. No point in wasting resources." Jimmy nodded, though he figured that with how cold Vulpesterra was year-round, there was no fear in holding onto the slime just in case. Most other empires had to worry about the slime melting in storage.

"Okay." He smiled, nodding to the storage building. "I'll be right back. Pick as many orchids as you want!"

The storage room had seen better days, but Jimmy loved it all the same. It wasn't as organized as when he'd first started, and the paint definitely needed a touch-up, but it was a reminder of where he had begun and where he was now. Sure, maybe it wasn't the progress he wanted it to be—but it was still progress.

He placed the shulker boxes into the wood section of the storage, wondering what he could have built. He knew that his citizens had a lot of requests, but he couldn't have all of them built, especially the ones that would be too close to Mythland. He only trusted Sausage as far as he could throw him, and he didn't exactly work out every day.