𝐗𝐕𝐈𝐈𝐈. FLASHBACKS

FORGOTTEN ORCHIDS   |   CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

CW // illusions to grooming (it's not outright
called grooming but you'll see what I mean),
uncomfortable flirting (not actual flirting but it's
taken that way and causes flashbacks)

ATTICUS HAD JUST SAT DOWN to do that day's paperwork when his bedroom door swung open without a knock to accompany it's movement.

With a frown, Atticus looked up, a deep sense of dread already warning him that it wasn't Jane who had come in without knocking; instead, it was King Sausage, looking far too proud to have weaseled his way into Atticus' home without the king being given a heads up. It would have been more amusing to Atticus if he had guards that he could call for.

Atticus stood, trying to hold himself to a taller height than he was. He'd always hated that Sausage was taller than him, but now it left a bad taste in his mouth. "What are you doing?" he asked, sighing out the question with the tone of annoyance he usually saved for Sausage. He walked around his desk to stand in front of it, not wanting to have a shield between him and Sausage if only to discourage Sausage from coming any closer.

Sausage grinned, walking over to Atticus anyway. Atticus curled his hands into fists, deciding to stand his ground, even if every nerve in his body was telling him to yell for anyone who was nearby to help him. Sausage did not come here to kill him; more likely than not, the king was only here to drive Atticus' blood pressure through the roof.

"I'm here to discuss an alliance," Sausage said, stopping a few feet away from Atticus. Atticus rolled his eyes, turning his head away. "Listen, Foxling. I know that you've been ignoring my letters, and while that's your right, I don't think you understand what an alliance with Mythland can provide you with. I want you to take me seriously for five minutes and listen to what I have to say!"

Atticus looked up at him again, a frown pulling at his lips. The desperation in Sausage's tone didn't assure Atticus of anything, but the older man hadn't made a move to get closer to him.

"I'm not allying with anyone, King Sausage. And after this stunt, Mythland wouldn't even be on my list of options for one," he said dryly. "Please leave my kingdom."

Sausage's brows furrowed. "An alliance would be good for both of our empires. You should stop acting like you're above everyone else because you don't see the benefit in one," Sausage argued.

Atticus exhaled slowly, trying to push down the anger that he felt beginning to boil his blood. "I don't do alliances, King Sausage, we've been over this," he said slowly, glaring at the man. "Do not ask me again."

Sausage moved forward, blocking Atticus against the desk with his arms. Atticus stiffened, eyes darting as he looked for an escape before he finally looked up at Sausage again. The king tilted his head, trying to make his expression seem casual but only managing to look more threatening.