33

*****

Chaeyoung cursed at every single red light. She hated seeing pedestrians laughing and smiling because how could they be? She kept hitting the red lights, but when they turned green, she floored it. She slammed her hand on the wheel because she wanted to get to Jisoo as quickly as she could.

Finally pulling up to the hospital, Chaeyoung quickly put her car in park and raced inside.

The first person Chaeyoung spotted was Irene.

“Irene!” Chaeyoung called desperately, rushing over to her.

“Chaeyoung!” Irene called back. “Where's Lisa?” She asked, looking behind her.

Chaeyoung looked at her in confusion, before answering.

“She's finishing the game for me.” Chaeyoung answered, starting to make her way to Gong Yoo's room.

“Wait!” Irene exclaimed. “You can't go up there.”

“Why not? Where's Jisoo?”

“All of Jisoo's family is there, including her extended family. You can't walk in there right now. They will question you and you know it.”

“Where's Jisoo?” Chaeyoung asked irritated.

“Stairwell. Just past his room. She told me to go get you. I promise I will get them all out soon, so you and Jisoo can have a moment alone before he-”

“Okay.” Chaeyoung cut Irene off. She didn't want to hear it right now. She just wanted to get to Jisoo.

Chaeyoung found her exactly where Irene said. She was hunched over, with her hands covering her ears, sitting on the steps. Chaeyoung closed the door to the stairwell, and took cautious steps towards her. Chaeyoung could feel her heartbeat in her ears.

“Jisoo?” Chaeyoung asked so quietly, she barely heard herself. Chaeyoung's adrenaline was still pumping from the game, and this just added to it.

Jisoo didn't answer, just wrapped her arms tighter around herself.

“Jisoo?” Chaeyoung called louder this time, making her way over to her.

Jisoo snapped her head up, locking eyes with Chaeyoung. She was looking at her like she didn’t know her for a second. Chaeyoung crouched down in front of her, softly taking her hands away from her ears.

“He's gone. He's gone,” Jisoo muttered. “He's gone and he's never coming back.”

Chaeyoung let out a silent sob, crawling closer to Jisoo.

“I know. I know.” Chaeyoung whispered, slowly wrapping her arms around Jisoo.

“You came.” Jisoo said, not hiding the surprise in her voice.

“Of course I came.”

“You were in the middle of a game.”

“I don't care about that.” Chaeyoung felt weird saying that. Basketball was the most important thing to her, but she didn’t care right now, not with Jisoo crying in front of her and not with Gong Yoo-

Chaeyoung couldn't even bring herself to think about it.

“Thank you,” Jisoo whispered. “Thank you for coming.”

Chaeyoung offered her a slight nod, resting her head against Jisoo's. The brunette was in distress. She kept muttering things to herself, that made it hard for Chaeyoung not to break down too.

“He can't be gone. We were talking and it was so nice. He can't be gone. I thought I’d have more time. I thought I would.” Jisoo kept muttering that over and over again, Chaeyoung wondered if she should interrupt her.