34

*****

“Hello, Chaeyoung?”

Chaeyoung sighed at the deep voice floating through the phone. She had no idea how to explain what happened at the game on Wednesday. It was a day she never wanted to relive as it was one of the worst days of her life.

Chaeyoung cursed because she didn't want to lie. She didn't want to explain where she was, or what she was doing that night. It was a day that would haunt her forever.

She was going to lie and she needed to sell it for her coach to believe her. She had to.

“I'm sorry about the game on Wednesday.” Chaeyoung said quickly. She needed get it over with, so she could hang up and wallow in her self pity.

This time, she heard her coach sigh deeply.

“You better have a damn good reason why you walked out like that without a word.”

Of course, Chaeyoung could've told him the real reason that she left. Jisoo needed her, and Chaeyoung wanted to be there. It was the first time she walked out of a game since she started playing. She would take full responsibility, but wouldn't blow their cover.

She wouldn't allow it.

So she chose to lie, because she had to. She would protect Jisoo.

“I have a brother, Asahi. He was in the hospital.” Chaeyoung said mustering up a bold voice. She was trembling inside, thinking she was going to hell for lying.

“Oh, Chaeyoung,” Chaeyoung smirked despite herself, knowing her lie worked. “I'm so sorry. Is he okay?”

Chaeyoung kept her acting going, this time letting her voice tremble.

“He's fine for now. It was some type of allergic reaction. I was so scared, I had be there. I'm really sorry.”

“Well, I'm glad he's okay. I can't be mad at you when it’s a family emergency, just next time tell me instead of just walking out, okay?” Haein asked.

Chaeyoung wondered if he would still be supportive if he knew she ditched the game to comfort the girl he was crushing on.

“Of course, coach. I'll see you at practice tomorrow.” Chaeyoung replied.

“Of course, see you then.”

Chaeyoung was quick to hang up the phone, just in case her coach somehow knew she was lying. She was paranoid, knowing she didn't cover her tracks as well as she could've.

Chaeyoung just hoped tomorrow would be better.

*****

It wasn't.

They had practice and it ran smoothly except for her teammates, who kept giving her weird looks, besides Lisa. Chaeyoung ignored them and focused on playing.

Haein had called them for a meeting after practice was over. He had a serious look on his face, and Chaeyoung wondered if it might have something to do with her.

It didn't. At least, not directly.

“As some of you may know,” Haein said somberly. “Ms. Kim’s dad, Gong Yoo, passed away last week. The funeral is coming up soon and I would like my team to come with me to show our support. Most of the faculty are going as well and I hope you will all decide to come.”

The words crushed Chaeyoung, every word breaking her heart. Chaeyoung schooled her emotions as best she could and didn't utter a word, but her teammates still looked to her as the captain.