Chapter 3

Red walked toward Kestrel's cell, she was kept away from everyone else to make sure Peril and her never met. He started to get the key for the cell as he said "Ok Kestrel, it's time for your trial, get ready." Kestrel didn't resist, she couldn't, she had to many chains and restraints on her.

He walked slowly with her toward the arena. Vermilion was to be arguing against Kestrel while Osprey would argue for her. Red had nothing to do with this trial but he knew he should at least be there to try and stop Scarlet from killing Osprey.

He glanced toward Clay as the trial began, Peril was hiding behind him. Red mostly zoned out as the trial went on until Peril came down. Scarlet was clearly mad at Peril for disobeying her orders but then Peril brought up the Champion's shield, something he and Osprey brought up. Red knew Scarlet would never kill him or at least he hoped.

"Now who told this little dragonet about big dragon things." Scarlet said as she glared at Osprey. Peril opened her mouth to try and defend Osprey but Red was faster, "Sorry Scarlet, that was probably my bad, I just thought she should know all about her work." Scarlet looked at Red and said "Well next time don't bring anything up with the next Champion."

Red bowed before Scarlet, and watched as Scarlet decided to let Peril do the Champion's shield, as if she had a choice about it. Red stayed behind as Scarlet left, she had some other guards take Kestrel away, she was clearly a little mad at Red. Suddenly Osprey spoke to him "Thanks for taking the blame, but aren't you scared of Scarlet, or what she'll do to you?"

Red shook his head and said "No, I know she wouldn't kill me but you, she'd kill you, just don't mention it." The old Skywing smiled slightly and walked off. Red walked toward Peril's room, he wanted to talk to her.

Red saw Peril pacing around. "Hey Peril, you okay?" Peril looked at him with anger in her eyes "Did you know!" She shouted at him, Red jumped back a bit. He quickly shook himself to get rid of the fear he felt "Yes, I knew, and I so desperately wanted to tell you, Kestrel and I were friends before she had Dragonets, Scarlet defiantly would have killed your brother, he was useless to her, but Kestrel wouldn't have let her, I wish I was as I would have tried to stop Scarlet from having Kestrel kill your brother back then but I wasn't as brave as I am now."

Peril looked at Red with the anger quickly dissipating. He wished he could tell her that her brother was still alive and out there somewhere but how would he justify knowing that? Peril then said "Well, thank you for protecting Osprey, he's one of my only friends." Red smiled and said in a slightly joking manner "Along with me and that Clay fellow, don't think I haven't noticed how you talk and look at him."

Peril smiled slightly and said "Yeah, he's amazing, I really like him." Red's smile slowly left as he said "You know, Scarlet is cruel, she'll use him against you, remember the mudwing egg was red, he has a slight immunity to fire, Scarlet will see Clay as the perfect fight for the Champion's shield, you need to free him or hide him if you want him and Kestrel to survive." Peril looked at him with a bit of fear in her eyes, not for herself but for Clay and Kestrel, "Scarlet wouldn't do that, would she?"

Red nodded, Scarlet would punish Peril in anyway she could, even if it ment she had to get a new Champion. Red then had a idea, a bad idea but an idea none the less, "What if we freed the Dragonets of Destiny, then who would Scarlet have you fight, a normal prisoner?" Peril looked at Red and was clearly on board as they started to get the plan prepared.