Chapter 18

*Long sigh*

"That is a long one. I guess you still haven't gotten a chance to ask her?", Kaeya sniggered at his ginger-haired Ace.

"This has been at least 3 days since you guys went on that date. And you STILL haven't??", Itto put down the book that he was using to cover his eyes from the bright sunlight.

"I never thought I would ever be looked at with that 'are_you_dumb' look by you, Itto-senpai", Ajax lay back down on the soft grass.

The team was having a study meetup under a big tree near their gym since they were in the middle of the final exam week.

Ayato stopped writing down when he heard the second sigh from Ajax, "I thought you were going to ask her yesterday's lunch time."

"I was but ... one thing went wrong and I didn't get the chance", Ajax rotated his head towards him.

~

Yesterday, lunch time

Ajax took a deep inhale when he saw Lumine having lunch with Ayaka and Yoimiya. Nerves crawled up from his legs but he tried to ignore them. Spoiler : he failed to do so.

"Hey pipsqueak, you got a minute?"

"Gingerbread? Sure, what's up?", she tucked away her stray hair strands behind her ears, giving him full attention.

'She is so adorable when she looks up at me with those eyes. Would it be weird if I kiss her now? No, no, focus, Ajax! Be natural.'

"How did you do on today's test? You didn't flunk it, right?"

'...oh , it came out wrong.'

Lumine's expression turned sour with her eyes narrowed at him deadly.

'Okay, it was worse than I thought.'

"Don't worry, my cerebrum functions a lot better than your defective one", her tone was sharper than usual.

'... yeah, that one is fully on me.'

Yes, her sharpness hurt but what hurt more was the curiosity in her eyes was changed to annoyance towards him. This wasn't how he planned to ask THE question.

Looking back at her, he noticed a small frown adorning her cute face. A frown spoke of her annoyance but he could see a hint of disappointment underneath it. At that moment, nothing was more important than removing that dark cloud from her expression. He could look for a chance to ask her THE question later.

He sat down on the empty seat beside her and brushed her frowning eyebrows gently with a thumb, "hey, there is something sticking here."

"There is? What is it? Can you remove it?", she closed her eyes in case it was an ant.

"I will, just stay still."

She could hear his voice getting closer so she sat still. Only to feel a pair of lips placed in the middle of her eyebrows a moment later.

Blinking with confusion, she opened her eyes to find the culprit grinning at her, "it was my lips. Sorry that they are always out of control when it comes to you."

It was cute how her confused face changed to an embarrassed one so quickly. Thanks to his kiss if he may add.

"You sneaking-"

She turned away from him with a huff, hiding her red cheeks with those bangs of hers. Ayaka and Yoimiya giggled at her from the other side of the table.