XIII

"Oh, yes to pick up lord Godfrey of course. We shall be travelling in his carriage. We might be delayed a little, did you have anything you would have liked to do?" He shook his head. "Good, then if you please." He motioned towards the carriage's door. Though he tried his best not to show it, he was nervous when stepped out the carriage for a stretch.

"You are a late." Devyn was greeted by a man from the shadows. "I had some trouble getting some things ready."

"Indeed." Charles stepped out from behind the tress and threw away the ashes of his smoke.

"Shall we go on then?" Charles asked as he gestured towards his carriage a far grander one that the ones he owned, but it wasn't the grandest amongst the many lot. The carriage was only ever used when he needed to deal with certain.businesses.

"Yes, we should." The glint of fear in Smith's eye showed he had just landed himself in deep trouble.

Devyn smiled, he liked that, he liked it a lot.

Emilia adjusted the coat of her riding habit as she made her way towards the stables. For some reason she had woken up late and prayed Hams hadn't gone on a morning stroll with the horses just yet. She had even managed to smuggle out a riding book from the library before coming out and was fully prepared to face her fear of riding once more. However the grounds looked as empty as they were deserted and not a soul roamed the place.

She run towards the stables eager to reach its welcoming warmth and pushed open the door as quietly as she could. She made her way towards where she knew Will was. It hadn't taken long before she learnt of his likes and dislikes and she had warmed up to the beast, even going as far as sneaking apples for him, though she knew otherwise, especially because the fine beast was on a diet of some sort and he was a running horse amongst the many lot that her husband owned.

Although the stables were quiet, most of the horses were awake and she got curious stares as she made her way through disturbing their peace.

"Hello there."

She whispered so slowly she felt she was intruding. But most of the horses ignored her warm pleasant greeting and turned back towards the activities they had been occupied with. She made her way to Will's stable questioning whether she was capable of saddling him up. The horses however didn't look like they had been on a run already so there was hope someone would saddle him for her. To her astonishment he wasn't there.

"Will?" She whispered as if the horse could hear her or even answer her.

"Hams-"

"I am afraid he wouldn't be able to join you on your morning stroll this morning my lady. He has some other better things to do." She turned around shocked. Heavens she didnt think he would be here.

"My lord."

"Riding? I see. I do find it strange as to why a woman of noble birth like you would want riding lessons from a working hand such as that man and not request someone of experience teach you."

"Well, that would require money and time and obviously it would have to have been passed by you before a riding coach can be approved." Devyn was quiet a moment as he looked at her. "Why do you need riding lessons?"

"That is none of your business my lord and I can do things according to my pleasure." "Such as act foolishly around my workers?" He questioned as he moved an inch close to where she stood. "I do no such thing!" Her cheeks flared up and her nostrils took in large gulps of air. She hadn't acted out of sorts or foolishly, the only person that had done so was him.

"Indeed you did not and yet the servants whisper things of how master Smith was seen indecently touching your hand or your gown." She sucked in a sharp breath as if just coming to terms with what he had just said. "Do you know what happens when such horrid rumors leave the confines of my house and mix into society, they create a scandal and drag my name through mud."