XXXIX

"So, is there someone that takes care of the flowers?" He shook his head no and rested his hand on her stomach rubbing them around in soft circles. "There was someone once, but that was not until my family chased them away and forcefully took their land. They are well settled somewhere else though. But the flowers do grow on their own, funny enough they seem naturally used to the soil."

He held the horse on deeper into the valley and that was when Emilia saw it the grand splendor of winter flowers that despite the white filled earth, brought a mixture of colour. From the brightly yellow winter Jasmines that popped out of the ground to the purple violas that grew side by side. Winterberries stood their ground taking a certain portion of the vast fields and underneath them the pleasant smell of camellia filled the air. Poinsettias and calendulas formed a path that the horse lazily followed and as they neared the nothingness of whatever path they went on she couldnt help her eyes to the sweet pleasures or even her fingers from picking a single crocus whose purple shade was so dark it looked almost blue.

"That night of my drunken stupor," She began as the flower Hams Smith had given her come to mind. "I was assaulted by Hams Smith even after you banned him from the estates." His hand forze before they continued to draw circular motions on her thigh, and she sighed in bliss as she rested her back against his warm comforting chest. She had dared herself to never remember that day even if it was just a few hours ago. And if she was being truthful, it was most unbearable especially without her having anyone to talk to about the whole ordeal.

"I know, there was an eyewitness. A full account was reported to me, and he was dealt with. I would never allow anyone hurt you Emilia and you should feel no need of keeping anything from me, whatever it is even if it isnt to your liking. I should be the first to know and I will always protect you no matter what." There was a soft silence that followed after.

He tucked the blanket around her shoulders and helped her to her feet. The horse was left a few feet from where they stood and though it had no command, it stayed near its owner. "I was mad at you." He nodded. "I know," and kissed the cold knuckles of her fingers drawing her attention to his slightly puzzled face and she watched him as he struggled within himself, willing himself to say something.

"Why didn't you tell me who the chamber maid was? Why did you have to relieve them of their duties?" She felt him take in a deep cold shaky breath. "I feared the worst and I was only trying to protect her-"

"But not me? You would rather-"

"I would rather hide her identity and take the blame for my actions than expose the woman and have you tear her apart. Perhaps it was wrong on my part and for that I am terribly sorry." Emilia nodded. There was no point on reminiscing about the past, it had happened had it not? And she had given her chamber maid departing words of her never wanting to see her ever again and that was about all to it. She would have said she had handled the matter in an amicable manner.

They climbed a little hill in silence and even with its height, she was able to see the land far and beyond.

Not far in the distance, past the many trees that formed a natural fence for the Seymours stood a manor so grand it could have been mistaken for a castle. Its walls were built with nothing but fine stone and tapestries hanged by the sides in dull colours of dark blood red. The curtains however were closed shut and the grass as well as hedges of its fences were well overgrown.

It looked like the place had been abandoned for a very long time without even the slightest bit of care given to it.

"The Abbington's manor. They deserted it about three decades ago, though it is in direct heritage of lord Abbington." She touched his arm, and he allowed her warm embrace.